The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buckling on moma has scours. 2.5 mo old. Mama is weening and he is not eating and drinking enough. He is getting really skinny and not really wanting milk even when mama held. Good color on eyes. Tossed in a apple tree branch and even he ate the leaves fast. Stinky scours. Gave 2 ml pepto about 24 hrs ago. Help not sure what to do. He and mama in with 3 other does higher in the herd. Cannot take to vet right now as finances are TIGHT!!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
How old is he?? Did you get a temp on him??? The color of the poop helps to tell what is going on as well. First thing I would do is give him a cd antitoxin shot. When you say it smells bad I think salmonella, it is kinda a grey color???? I understand the finance thing so to be honest what i do with a kid that Im unsure of with scours is treat for what all I think it could be. If he is older then a few weeks then I would rule out e coli, salmonilla I use neomycin, also a shot of la200, last year was told pen. works well so I used that. Coccidiosis causes scours and there is a long list of meds you can use for that, look up coccidiosis, I use albon. But no matter what you want to give that antitoxin, you can also give the pepto, I have mixed feelings on that. Pepto can be great to ease the tummy but if its something bad in there its best if you let the animal get it out, which is what the runs do is try and get all of that crap out. Also keeping him hydrated is #1, that will kill faster then anything he might have. Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His temp is 102.7. Doesnt seem to be chewing cud or drinking. Looks skinny. Has had scours befor, I thought from trying too much new foods. Gave .34 cc of thiamine and 1cc of cd antitoxin.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with Karen. Does rarely wean their kids at 2.5 months of age, the kid is not eating because he is sick. I would also check for dehydration and give electrolytes if he is dehydrated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sulmet goes in the drinking water. He is in a herd. Any worries on the herd drinking it? Also he is not drinking, I dont think. So make up jug for cattle/swine dosage and drench? I also have corid here and pen G.

Electrolites? If I put sulmet in the drinking water then do I add electrolites with it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts