Buckling With Bent Neck Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pacamamma, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    I have been working with Ace for about 14 days now and going up and down with him. He had a really low temp two weeks ago when I started (99). I brought him in the house to get him warmed up and he was doing better. He would have his not so good days, but it looked like things were on the upswing until yesterday. He had a really low temp (99 again) so I put a heater in for him (he is living in my room in a tub). I have been giving him re-sorb and pedialyte along with vit. B shots and red cell (he was also a bit anemic). Today his neck was bent back and he was to weak to stand. He also had some convulsions this morning. His last temp was at 100.9. He has lost so much weight (he has no muscle mass) (he weighed 23# two weeks ago and he is three months old). I have an appointment to take him to the vet tomorrow. I don't know if he can stand too much more in the way of things to give him.:tears:

2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that :( I wish I could help! Hopefully the vet can or maybe someone on here...:(

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Listeriosis??Or polio?? 14 days is a long time to deal with this but maybe check it out...
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Low temp indicated rumen shut down..C D Antitoxin will help bind the toxins building...Thiamine is needed to prevent or treat Polio...Pen g at large amounts are needed to treat listeriosis...The link has a chart to show how much Pen G is needed

4. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    the crap thing is large amounts of pen g can kill healthy rumin... very tough situation. Hope the vet will be able to pin point the problem. Good luck

5. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I'd say polio, thought tetanus with the bent neck and convulsions (like rigamortis), but 14 days is too long.
    The bent neck can also be a severe selenium deficiency (more often seen in calves).

6. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Are you tube feeding him? He needs something with more nutrients than electrolytes.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if he isnt eating on his own and if he can swallow well..mush up some alfalfa pellets in water and use a turkey baster to feed him..keep him fed will help him fight what ever is going on...
    And although its true Pen can be hard on the rumen...giving Probio paste 3-4 hours after pen will help keep his rumen in enough shape until treatment is over..then follow with Probios daily for at least a week...
    best wishes..please keep us posted on what the vet thinks...
    here is a electrolyte recipe that would be better for him than Pedialyte

Homemade Electrolytes
    A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

8. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    ^^ calf manna is another good one to soak and feed. You can soak in in really hot water, let it soften up, put it through the blender until its at puree or baby food consistency, add more water and tube feed, or keep it thicker and feed with a Turkey bastor. You can also add his minerals if you want.

9. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    Thanks everyone for all your help. He is holding steady currently. We will be looking into the calf manna in the morning. Will keep you posted.

10. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    Good news! He was able to move his head and he tried to move around when he heard me come in. I gave him two ounces of a mash I made up (garlic, kiefer, yogurt, oat groats, soaked alfalfa, vit. B1 (250 ml), oregano oil, onion, and echinacea,). He was able to eat it on his own and drank half of his electrolytes (I tubed the other half). I gave him 1.5 ml penn. (he got .7 ml earlier, and then we found out he would need more) at 10:30pm and probios at 1:30am. This is the first interactive response from him in about 21 hours! YAY!

11. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, his temp. is at 102 (under the lamp but hey it's coming along). Got to rejoice over every little blessing!

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    good news...any progress is encouraging..sounds like he is in good hands...

13. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    I think you are right. I took him to the vet yesterday and she did not know about the goat polio (while our vet is not as well versed in goats, she has family that have goats and she takes a keen interest in learning more, about them and helping as much as she can). While he was at the vet he went from laying on the exam table and not moving, to being able to stand on his own for short periods of time. The vet said to do a little muscle therapy for him and get him standing as much as possible. By yesterday evening he was able to graze a little and start to take steps. He still falls, but his falls are getting further and further apart. I was able to get a hold of some straight B1 and have been giving him that. His neck is starting to straighten out! Over all I think he is on the mend. He is starting to be able to regulate his temp. without a heat lamp as well:cool:. One question though, would he be infertile (He was originally purchased to be an upcoming herdsire:() because of how sick he has gotten? He is quite stunted, weighing 17# (he was 23# two weeks ago) at just over three months (he is an Oberhasli). Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    He may be less fertile at the moment, but he should recover and gain more fertility and be able to carry on his job as your new herd sire. Polio shouldn't cause any reproductive issues, I have a doe that appeared to have it 2 years ago, I got her over it, and she continues to kid.
    Just worry about his health right now, when he's over this bump in the road you can alway have a fertility check done (semen collection observed under a microscope counting the % of mobile sperm).

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    YAY!!! I pray he continues to recover for you :hug:

As far as polio affecting fertility, I have a now 4 year old ND doe who had polio at 5 months of age, she did have some lasting nuerological issues for over a month past her last treatment, she still has an odd tilt to her head on occassion but has kidded successfully 2x for me since, her first with twin does and her second with 3 does and a buck :)

16. Pacamamma

Pacamamma New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Washington
    Ace passed on this morning at three:tears:. He died peacefully in my arms. His last hour was pretty rough. He had convulsions and lock jaw. What I thought was the goat polio, was really tetanus. I should have given him the anti-toxin from the get go. Yesterday he was walking better and grazing more like a normal goat. By three a.m. he was dead:tear:. He just went so fast. Rest In Peace little buddy. He will always have a significant in my life. Here is a picture of him before he got sick.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  17. LamanchaAcres

LamanchaAcres Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Awwww sorry for your loss :(

18. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I'm sorry. :(

I've never seen tetanus drag out that long, normally 48 hours max, and they're gone.
    poor little guy.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm so sorry. ... Never heard of tetanus going that long either ??? :(

20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(