buckling with cough since i brought him home

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by daisymay, Oct 24, 2020.

1. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    born april 22nd, purchased end of june early july. purchased three kids. all had a bit of coughing and had coccidia bloom within a few days. treated with toltrazuril. priobiotics, vib b complex. they also developed a cold which i figured they would since the buckling was a bit nasal. they got over it but the buck still had a cough. he seems fine other then that. i did eventually give him nuflor and it cleared up until i quit giving it to him. the two girls are fine. then the smoke arrived and quite a few started coughing but so did i. the smoke has been gone for quite a while and he is the only one who still coughs. clear eyes,nose, temp good. eats the same as everyone else. peeing on himself and acts like a normal little buckling.

i did not deworm them since i have had them. i do have a microscope but have to do some research on what solution to use and how to check without a spinner. but have the slides now and also have a slide with the lines on it.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would have a fecal done. But you may want to consider lungworm or some type of lung damage.

3. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    i did have which i believe was lungworm last summer. ended up deworming with valbazen to all, luckily no kidding problems all quit coughing.but i dont want to do that again.
    but wasnt sure if this was the problem, the other two doelings arent coughing and they have been with him for at least 6 weeks (while they were away from the herd). and i know you dont always see lungworm on a fecal check. thank you for replying!

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Keep in mind that all goats are individual. One goat can have something and no one else does. Never assume the whole herd has to have a parasite in order to figure out what one goat has.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Run a fecal for lungworm. www.meadowmistlabservice.com does it for a good price!

How long did you give Nuflor for?

I would start on 3 cloves of raw garlic daily, a natural antibiotic!

6. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    i believe 5 days , i will try garlic again, last few times everyone hated it even covered in molasses.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)

2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey

3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed

4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed

5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed

6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed

7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce

8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas

9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree

10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added

11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball

12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don’t like it at first

13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.

14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull

15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully

17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully

18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could be lungworms, if you can't get a test done for it.
    Treat right away, if lung worms they may have done damage to the lungs already.
    Even after treatment, the goat may always have a cough, depending on how scarred the lungs are.

9. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    IMO not reliable and not necessary when MeadowMist does them on the cheap.

11. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Not all of us are in the US. Meadowmist is not an option for me. This is why I asked.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I see! Ask your vet if they run it or know a lab that will.

With the home test, if you happen to see lungworm, ok, hard to say that's incorrect, it is just harder to get them to reveal themselves, so a negative is not always a negative on that test. Nothing wrong with trying it.

MadHouse likes this.