The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! One of my bucklings seems to be developing some scurs. Is there anything I can do to remove them permanently or temporarily? I’m planning on taking him to a show on July 3rd, anything that can be done before then? Thank you so much in advance!

Sorry the picture isn’t great, I can get better ones if needed. 😁

·
Fair-Haven
4,823 Posts
If it's loose, you can clip it with a pair of nippers, see if it has any "wiggle " to it. Very common, if it can be clipped, that would be my first option over dehorning which is invasive, and painful.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's loose, you can clip it with a pair of nippers, see if it has any "wiggle " to it. Very common, if it can be clipped, that would be my first option over dehorning which is invasive, and painful.
Thank you! It has a little wiggle to it but the other buckling has slightly thicker scurs I didn’t even notice. 😬 If I trim with hoof trimmers, will they grow back? I also have horse hoof nippers if that would be better. Thank you!

·
8,392 Posts
If it is really wiggly, it is really only being held on by skin! Pop it off, it will bleed a bit, but,
should be healed by your show. You will have to continually deal with it, unless you want
to reburn it, but it might be easier to keep trimming or removing it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! We don't do our own disbudding so I'm not sure if we could talk the awesome lady that does do our disbudding into reburning it. 😁 lol

I'll try to trim them or pull them if I get a chance today. For the bleeding, do you put Blu-Kote or some sort of powder (flour?) on it?

Thank you so much in advance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts