buckling with weak rear end?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Apr 19, 2010.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Moose is a 10 week old boer kid, a single on his mom living with the herd. No previous health issues but this morning I noticed his back legs seemed a bit wobbly when he was walking. I didn't really think anything about it at the time and this evening it is worse. He can still get up and walk but his back end will just colapse where he is sitting like a dog and then he will either get back up or just lay down there.
    I have moved him and his momma in a small pen by the house so I can take care of him, but I don't have a clue whats wrong with him.
    Of course he could have been injured by a big goat or even a horse I suppose, but if it isn't an injury, what could it be?
    What should I do?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd say it's an injury.
    I would get it checked out asap.

also try a shot of Bose.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yeah I agree. My then yr old buck was wobbly in the rear. Had chiro work done but wasnt a permanent fix.
    The possibility of menenginal worm came up, we do have slugs & snails here, which are carriers but none in the pens.
    He is going to be wormed with Ivermectin+just incase. We'll see if he improves.
    Unfortuneatly menenginal can only be determined by necropsy.
    If our boys are weak in the rear they cant do their job, & Im faced with the very real possibilty of having to put him down.
    Sorry to be so blunt but if its an injury hopefully you have a good vet that can determine that & he may recover.
    Lately my boy wont rear up to spar with his buddy who just shoves him over without much force at all. :hug: I know what you're going through.

4. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    If you can get your hands on him I would start gently feeling his backbone and his legs to try to find any tender spots. Once you isolate a spot on his back, hips, or legs then we will be able to help you come up with how to treat him. If he has no sore spots then we have to start thinking about nutritional deficiencies, parasites, or something else :(.

To make sure I don't miss anything I move my hands from his back to his hips, then focus on one leg gently flexing and extending each joint on each leg. If he flinches or cries at any one specific spot then I'm pretty confident that I've found the problem. If it's just a generalized weakness then we may be dealing with something else. While he is standing, put your hand under his tummy and try to check each vertebrae by gently pressing down with one finger on either side of the crest of his backbone. His hind end will collapse or he will shiver or flinch at any one weak spot if an injury or deterioration exists. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then you can ask your vet to do it.

What's his temperature? Can he urinate and defecate ok? Is he able to stand to nurse and follow momma around on his own?