The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. Had 2 first timers kid today. Both have been impressive, but one of the kids cannot locate the teat. The doe is following him around the kidding pen practically begging him to nurse. He did nurse a couple times earlier, but not for long. Been born 7 hrs now. I'm confident he got some colostrum, what should I do? I thought about milking into syringe, but I don't want this to be a bottle baby.

·
14,615 Posts
Ok. Syringing colostrum isnt going to make him a bottle baby.
They dont nurse but for literally several seconds many times a day in the first few days.
Is he up & moving around? Is his mouth toasty warm?
We will go from there.
you might just have to show him where the groceries are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks. That makes me feel better. Shortly after I posted I was able to get him to a teat for about 45 secs. He is a small kid. The doeling that we kidded in the pen next door nursed for what seemed like forever and was very aggressive at it. Maybe his size and engorged teats are a factor? He is up and moving. Seems fine, just not really aggressive.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Check his tummy. Stand him up, face the same direction he is, put 2 fingers of each hand on either side of his tummy just in front of the hip bones. Does it feel firm? If so, he is getting enough and will be ok. Not all kids are aggressive, but that doesn't mean they are not getting enough to eat.

·
14,615 Posts
Oh that's great news! Yes, some kids are very agressive & some not & it can make you crazy.
So long as he has a reasonably full tummy, not sunken in. He should have a fairly even line from shoulders to thighs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is definitely not as full as I would like. But I did get him on the teat again just now for a few. He has a little spunk, and isn't crying like kids I've seen that have been rejected. Have never had this problem. Thanks for your help!

·
14,615 Posts
The most critical time for colostrum is the 1st 24 hrs then the next 24.
Been thinking of your little guy since you first posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its almost as if he is just too lazy to kneel and nurse. If I just hold the udder up so it is horizontal he will find it, if not he just makes a couple jabs at it then stops trying. He looks and acts healthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts