The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired 3 half boer bucklings, now 6 and 10 days old. One of the younger is consistently and persistently drinking the urine of another. So, one has a wet face the other a wet belly.
I have raised many kids and never had such a persistent case. I usually feed kids this age one cup 3 times a day. Since these have boer and so are more hungry, I increased milk to 1 ¼ and now 1 ⅓ cups. But the issue has not stopped.
They have fresh water and access to hay and grass which they can pretend to eat. They are all bouncy and noisy and acting just like any other kids.
Any suggestions (because of age groups, I really cannot separate them) to stop this behavior? Or do I just hope they stop when they are eating solids and eventually weaned.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
I am a neonatal foster for dogs, but, had a similar experience once with a litter of pups. Sounds like the little guy wants to suckle longer. If possible get him a nipple with smaller holes. Yes, it may take a little longer for him to nurse .... Sort of like some human babies want a "binkie" and others don't. Once I gave the pup I am referring to a new nipple, it required suckling longer to finish the bottle and stopped the need to want to latch onto his litter mates private parts. Hope this helps.

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a neonatal foster for dogs, but, had a similar experience once with a litter of pups. Sounds like the little guy wants to suckle longer. If possible get him a nipple with smaller holes. Yes, it may take a little longer for him to nurse .... Sort of like some human babies want a "binkie" and others don't. Once I gave the pup I am referring to a new nipple, it required suckling longer to finish the bottle and stopped the need to want to latch onto his litter mates private parts. Hope this helps.
Sounds like a good idea, he is the smallest of the 3 but always finishes first, so perhaps being made to eat more slowly will help. thanks.

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved the urine drinking problem, separated them for a couple of days and all was well. All were thriving until about 3 weeks ago, big time scours. Tested & treated for Coccicidia. They have been on Decox-M since I got them. Then the urine drinker stopped eating, had a little elevated temp, so treated with antibiotic, seemed better. All were sickly again this week, tested and treated again for cocicidia(that is all that showed up). The ex-urine drinker just declined, tried everything in my arsenal including drip fluids yesterday. He was gone this morning. Another only ate half his milk on Friday, but has perked up and seems OK today. Now the third is off his milk. I think the parasite load has just sent them reeling. I did move them to an all outdoor, but covered, pen and they have access to a small pasture that has been empty for a couple of months. Hating this! I have 16, which is truly enough and so was thinking to not breed this fall. But I bought a buck out of a really nice sire and great milker (that was silly if I wasn't going to breed). After all the health issues with these kids I decided last weekend to not use the buck. Then my pretty little black doe came in heat. . . Sorry for the long answer to an easy question. Zackery is still up in the barn, waiting for his burial, but I am not ready.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. If you believe that cocci is the culprit, you may want to consider trying another medication to treat. I have had very good success with Tolturazil - I order mine from horseprerace.com - best wishes - others on her may have other thoughts as well. Do take temps, you may be dealing with pneumonia - it seems to be hitting quite a few herds right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts