The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were planning on picking up our first herd sire in 1 week a 100% boer. I have been getting weekly updates from breeder. Last night she messaged me stating that she noticed a "pinch" in the little bucklings ear. She sent me a couple pictures. After investigating i'm wondering in the show ring if this would be considered a vertical fold. please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have read that this could possibly be fixed by sponge rollers or cardboard and tape/glue. Do you have any experience with this? I am disappointed. I love the markings of this little buckling. and the price is within my range. The owner said that none of the dams or sires offspring's besides him have had ears like this, so she doesn't believe its genetic trait.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ears like that just happen. I wouldn't be too worried. It is NOT a genetic trait. If you like him get him, the only thing you can't do with him is show him. My neighbor has the best registered Boer buck around and he has a vertically folded ear, and he has never had any kids with that abnomarlity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she just sent me a couple more photos. Thank you all for your help! I brand new to the goat world. To me it wasn't a big deal until I started reading about it.

29829801_2006923616223977_692694996_o (1).jpg
29829940_2006923606223978_1459637702_o.jpg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Why cant you show a buck with a fold?
It's just something they will DQ over.
Ok I personally am NOT sold that the folds are a genetic thing. I've had ones come out of the blue and never have it again with the same exact breeding and or lines and I have two does that I have yet to get a fold out or and they both give me trips and I've had 7 kiddings out of one and 8 out of the other and their offspring have not thrown any. So this is just my two cents, right or wrong I don't know. BUT even believing that I don't think I would buy him unless It was a killer deal. Mainly because what if it's really not genetic but so many people think that it is and look at that ear and pass. Also I always want my bucks to be as close to perfect as I can afford and this is still a flaw :( also I should chime in that I mainly sell breeding stock. If your selling market wethers or butcher Goats the no one is going to look past the body. So you need to consider what your selling for and then decide

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I am getting an excellent deal on him. She is selling him for $400. He is 100% and registerable Like I said, I am just starting out. This buckling and a Doe that I am picking up the same day will be my first ever goats. I basically want to use him to produce 4H/fair kids for my children. I think eventually I will upgrade my herd sire but at this point i'm not willing to invest in a 1,000 dollar buck.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No that fold is a DQ. If you look at the standards it says vertical folds is a no no, but you are 100% right! If he even has a ok body to him he will very much be worth the $400 and will probably pay himself off in no time, probably the first year. Unless your shooting for ABGA show quality stock right now I change my vote to getting him lol or you could also ask to give you a month or so to think on it and take that time to look around. I mean choice is totally yours but just a option

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, he actually has a decent body! His sire is a very nice looking buck! I am def not going for ABGA show quality at this point. Thank you soo much for you help! I really didn't want to make a rookie mistake and wasn't sure if his ear was considered a "vertical fold" since it didn't look as bad as others posted. However, you all clarified that for me! Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts