Bucks and rams?

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by McCarthyFarms, May 21, 2020.

1. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Before we bought our buck, the plan was always to build enough paddocks to keep our sheep and goats separate, but in the meantime we ran our 2 does, 1 wether, 3 ewes and ram all together and all was well.

We finished our goat paddock, introduced our new buck and all 4 goats have been together while the sheep were in their own temporary grazing pen we would move around.

Last weekend a pack of wild dogs killed 2 ewes, injured the other, so we only have the ram and one ewe remaining. They have been in a secure holding yard but it has been pouring rain and is a mud pit right now. We can’t build a new paddock for them until the weekend or next week. In the meantime we are considering just putting them in the goat paddock until we get the new one set up.

All have been together before except the buck and ram...I’m just a bit worried about having them together. Has anyone had any issues? The buck is a Nigerian dwarf and ram is a big dorper cross so a fairly decent size difference. I don’t want anyone to get hurt.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve not kept sheep, but when I was looking into them I ran across people cautioning against keeping them together due to the different styles of sparring. The concern is that the rams just literally back up and ram their opponent while bucks stand up and come crashing down. The bucks don’t expect to be rammed and get hurt.

3. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    That definitely makes sense. I looked over a few different forums and that seemed to be the general consensus too. My husband really pushed to put them all in together but I don’t want to risk anyone getting hurt. We ended up putting the sheep out in an empty horse paddock for the day and will bring them into the secure yard overnight until we get their paddock done.

NDinKY likes this.