Bucks Helping Does Come Into Heat?

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by LannaGoatsOR, Aug 20, 2020.

1. LannaGoatsOR

LannaGoatsOR New Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Bonanza, OR
    Clear something up for me. I raise boers. I have had people tell me that keeping a buck in the next pen will help does come into heat. Is this true? I understand a buck in rut can help a doe come into heat but I haven't heard anything about keeping a buck in the pen next to the one where the does are located. Don't most goats (boers included) come into heat on their own, even if a buck isn't around? I keep a buck around all year (in the next pen, sometimes) and my does only come into heat in autumn.

I feel as if the 'next pen' might be stretching the truth of a buck in rut helping them come into heat.

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I think it will make them come into heat faster. One year none of my bucks were in rut and I purchased one in rut and not long after I brought him home those ladies started coming into heat. So yes does will come into heat without a buck around but I think a buck in rut will get the show going faster.
    And they don’t need to be RIGHT next door, in fact that’s usually not a good idea unless you want them bred since they can breed threw fences, but close enough to smell will do the trick ;)

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yep..(embarrassed)
    They can fence breed real easy!:up::nod:

toth boer goats and Jessica84 like this.
  4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I think too that a safely adjacent buck pen can help you tell when the does are in heat better too. It sure is obvious when my does are in heat since my buck pens are all adjacent.
    :oohlala: :love:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Maybe not all year?
    I keep my bucks with my does year-round but Nubians are seasonal breeders so when I want my does to come into strong heats I take the bucks away a week or two ahead of when I want to start breeding. I find they do still come into heat without a buck but he will make their heats stronger!

Ashlynn and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh it happens to the best of us. I remember the first time I was told that I was like yeah right! That takes some serious communication and thinking and we are talking about animals that can’t even learn not to poop in their water. I now have 2 fences close together with a 2’ gap between and a roof on that section they border.
    And oh yes having the boys next door make it much easier to tell when one is in heat. I would just make sure the boys can’t get on that fence. Before my second fence I used to line that section with a bunch of water troughs lol it worked!

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Would that be because they are too in love to get out of the rain? I can see mine doing something foolish like that.

Moers kiko boars and Jessica84 like this.
  8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol no, I’m not going to lie, If they choose to stand out in the rain I no loner stress it......as long as they are not choosing to be out there because they are timid or picked on. The roof is fairly short so keeps them from getting on the fence and trying to crawl out or jump. But yeah mine would totally stand in the rain if a doe was in heat. They come into heat and the bucks loose every bit of common sense they have!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

If a doe smells the bucks aroma, they do come in season stronger.

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yes..like who ...can miss smelling that "Aroma"??:sleep: Gag cough cough gag.:shrug:.its sticky..foul smelling urine & :oohlala:whatever else gooo...ugh...:heehee:

MellonFriend likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    LOL!! My buck pen is about 100’ away from the front door and when I walk out during rut, BOOM, the buck smell hits you like a bunch of bricks! My family hates it! He is such a sweet boy though even during rut. He tries to rub on me but I make sure that I tell him NOOOO!!! Lol

13. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I put my buck in last Sunday, by friday afternoon all 11 does were bred (I use a marking harness). During the summer my buck and does are on separate property so they cant see or smell each other, within 24 hours of turning the buck out they all start coming into heat and are bred. Makes for a short and sweet kidding time

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. Blessed Boer's

Blessed Boer's New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    I’ve only had 3 of my 9 girls come into heat. This is my First time breeding so can it take a couple months into rut for girls to flirt?
    They share a fence line during the daytime and my buck definitely stinks. Lol
    I bred 2 of the 3 of them that had clear signs of heat within the last month.
    Just anxiously waiting for the rest of them.