The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to feed the buck on Friday and he was standing by himself without approaching to say hello like he usually does. Buck is 4 years old this March and I only recently acquired him, with a clean bill of health from breeder (health testing done, supplements UTD). Was shivering slightly and just kind of looking away from us. Has diarrhea and it's cow pie consistency. Dosed with 5 - 10ml probios then and gave a general vitamin A & D supplement to see if he was just feeling "off". He took a couple of sips of water, but in the half hr or 45 min I observed him, he wasn't nibbling on any hay. AND he wouldn't eat any grain!
He's had a little bit of a cough for the last couple of weeks & a slightly crusty nose, but I didn't think it was anything noteworthy... wrong, obviously. Saturday the buck was hanging his head, still not interested in interacting with us, still had the runs, and was laying down when we came to the stall.... but, I came prepared this time. More probios, another dose of the A & D supplement, vitamin B complex to help with appetite... 35 ml of Nutri Drench down the hatch. Seemed better than he was Friday, but still not himself. Added a pack of electrolytes to the water to help. Gave him a billy block and that was the only thing I could get his attention with. I was hearing gut noises fairly often from him a little while after giving the probios.... and that rumen area kept rising and falling.... is that something to worry about?
Sunday, today. Buck looks at us when we come to the stall, isn't laying down, but doesn't meet us at the stall door. Still scouring really bad, it had begun to "stick" below his butthole so we cleaned him up. Wiped his nose off and the fluid still seems clear. Not coughing as frequently as the last two days, but we decided to give 4.5ml of Bio-mycin 200 (he's approx. 125lbs) in case the cough has turned into pneumonia. It was raspy sounding and the previous two days the coughing was still frequent enough. Going to dose again in 48 hrs with another round of Biomycin. Hit him with the probios, a dose of electrolytes because I'm worried he's not drinking anything, and the B Complex paste again... He seems to be improving, but I'm worried that maybe the coughing was lungworm and I've just missed the mark.... so I'm also worried the diarrhea & now needing to treat with Lungworm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neglected to get temp, but I can get it in the morning, what am I looking for in temp? And I cant get it to the vet til tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normal temp is 101.5 to 103.5*F

I would probably give him a dose of Proto Bismol for tonight since he has been scouring several days, just until you can nail down the cause. He might have both pneumonia and parasites.
Can do! Will report back with findings!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monitored him the last two days and he's back to normal after two doses of oxytetracycline, and the fecal is being ran to see if lungworms are a present (but the cough has gone). Thank you for the feedback!

·
8,071 Posts
An important thing is to be sure and give him the entire course of antibiotics, since you started him on them. I give at least 5 days of oxytetracycline. You don't want to make those bugs stronger and have antibiotic resistance develop. (You may already know this).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts