Bucks not good pets?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Gordie_olwyn, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Gordie_olwyn

Gordie_olwyn New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    I've been doing research since I got my 2 boys, almost 2 weeks ago. They are 4 months old now, brothers. I keep hearing that bucks don't make good pets. They get mean. I'm not planning on nutering them, or dehorning them. Has anybody successfully had bucks as pets?
    Gordie is the grey one, Olwyn is the black one. In the last week, we have overcame alot. I can tell they were around humans at their other home, but I'm not sure if it was always good interactions with humans. Olwyn loves me. He greets me as soon as I walk outside. I sit down in the chair, he jumps in my lap and I rub him (lap dog lol) he eats out of my hand. He lays his horns on my shoulder when he wants attention. He is good on the leash (still have work to do, but he does fantastic for only been doing this a week) he jumps in my lap when I tell him "up" he jumps down when I tell him "down" if I'm standing and tell him "up" he stands on his back legs. He follows me around the yard. Gives me kisses. Even let's me brush him.
    Gordie on the other hand, is complicated. He is doing good with bonding but not as fast as Olwyn. Gordie gives me kisses, jumps in my lap when I'm sitting down. Stands on his back legs when I say "up" eats out of my hand... when I put him on a leash he lays down and cries really loud and try to fight it. I can't even bribe him with food. I literally have to hold him down to take the leash off of him because he spins in circles. He also freaks out if I try to rub him. He will get in my lap, but if I move my hands he takes off running. I try to pet him while feeding and he will stop and take off running. Is this normal? He seems "meaner" than Olwyn. He constantly starting fights with Olwyn. When I'm walking Olwyn on the leash, I try to take him outside the fence to let him have a different atmosphere, but I can't take Gordie since he won't let me leash him, and Gordie freaks out and screams when Olwyn is out of his eye sight. Any idea on this?
    I don't feel like I will ever have problems out of neither with them trying to butt me. Even with Gordie personality. I want to hear success stories on having bucks as pets. Maybe they all aren't mean?

Attached Files:

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Bucks don't make great pets at all. They get aggressive and hormonal and pee on their legs, faces, beards, and in their mouths when in rut, which is from about August to January. You should really wether them.

3. Gordie_olwyn

Gordie_olwyn New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    At what age do they start going in rut? They are 4 months old now, I've caught them peeing in their mouth, but they don't really stink bad yet.. and I don't really see them as "agressive" yet. Is it because they are still young?

4. MylieD

MylieD Active Member

Sep 16, 2013
    middle GA
    I'm currently leasing a buck for my does and he is sweet as can be. Not a mean bone in his body. He is a Nigerian Dwarf, so he's small. But! He stinks to high heaven. If I touch him with a single finger, I then stink to high heaven and it doesn't easily wash off. My does smell too now, my backyard smells. He also does not have horns. He does want to breed. If you aren't going to breed them, it seems mean to me not to whether them. They will have no relief from their frustrations. It doesn't hurt them but for a little while and the benefits are great. My pet whether is puppy dog sweet with no smell. So yeah, they can be nice, but you can't stop the hormones or the smells. I have a horned goat and she's fine. I think horns are a personal preference.

5. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    Aggression is unacceptable behavior from any animal in my opinion, so that's an issue that would make or break a pet in any gender or species for me.

My bucks are very sweet and respectful. The problem is they stink! They pee on their face and their legs and once you have that smell on you it does not go away after washing your hands or sometimes even after a shower. The cute, huggable babies they once were are gone - they are now big, smelly adults. I've gotten rather used to it, but others in my family will walk by me after I've been to the boys and say, "Uuuh, were you petting the bucks?" :p

The great part about wethers is you get to keep the same huggable little goats you fell in love with, just minus the pee and the stink. ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Generally speaking, bucks do NOT make good pets. I would have them neutered. Wethers make great pets.:)
    I see you have young children? Bucks can be very obnoxious.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You definitely need to neuter them. The smell alone is bad enough but once the hormones kick in, they can get aggressive.

8. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I would have to say no, bucks do not make good pets. They tend to(not saying all) but they do tend to get more aggressive once the hormones kick in. I definitely would not keep them as bucks if you have kids around.

Bucks can still be sweet, but in my experience wethers tend to stay puppy dog sweet. My buck is very very sweet and I love him, but I would never keep him as a pet buck. He is respectful, but he tend to be a bit more pushy then my does and wethers. If I ever didn't need him for breeding, I would more likely lease him out, to help calm the hormonal/sexual frustration. I don't think I could ever get rid of him. Lol

Plus, when they do begin to stink badly, the smell they will produce is very strong and is very difficult(if not impossible) to get out of your clothes.
    I know a lot of people who tend to throw away the clothes they have on after they come in contact with there buck/s or have a specific set of "buck clothes" that they keep in a garbage bag that they only use when coming in contact with the buck/s.
    Another thing, when they spray pee, they don't tend to have good aim(do they even try? lol), I almost got sprayed the other day and I wasn't even standing that close to him. Almost turned a good pair of jeans into, "buck only jeans". Haha

Also, since they have horns, It's another strike against keeping them as a pet bucks, if they do become aggressive or pushy when the hormones kick in, they may use (and are more likely to use) there horns against you or anything they come in contact with (children, dogs, cats, other living things in general)

If you plan to neuter them, I would do it relatively soon. The older they get the more difficult a recovery it can be. Between 3-4 months is a pretty good age to get the job done.

EDIT:
    Another quick thing to consider is, if you have close(or even relatively close) neighbors, they will smell the buck stench(sometimes you can smell it for miles around, trust me). Your neighbors will not appreciate the smell and you may have animal control knocking on your door and angry neighbors on your hands. Nobody want to smell buck pee at the BBQ. Haha or at least non goat people don't.:ROFL:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I have two bucks and I'm grateful when they go out on jobs. They are SUPER sweet but the most disgusting things on the planet. And the smaller breeds can be in rut almost year round! My little buck who is here right now smells SO BAD I can smell him from my house, and the pen is a good ways a way.

I would wether them or decide that they are not cuddle pets. To me, its either/or. You can either have a neutered pet or a frustrated set of males (if you have no does) that are going to be nasty and might get cranky if they can't do their job.

10. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Bucks can be great though.....not all are agressive. I think if they are raised gently they can be gentle animals. Yes some are agressive. Not all though. I have one that is sold.....but he is a sweet sweet boy! But we spend alot of time with our animals. And that makes a huge difference. Our animals when they go to a home are tame and friendly and human friendly....not all are. But if you have raised the bucks....just continue loving them.

Yes wethers are less agressive that is for sure. But not all bucks are agressive.

Tami

11. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    You can get buck aprons.....that makes them not pee on themselves.....ours is wearing one now. Also helps breeding not to happen.

12. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I would never recommend two horned bucks as first time pets especially with small children in the area. With no does around they are going be frustrated, they are a breed that never goes out of rut, and the way they are being raised they are going to view you and your children as potential mates. No matter how gentle they are, it is a bad situation for you, your children, and the bucks themselves.

13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I'm with buck naked. I have a buck that unless he is chasing a doe I trust more then most of my does. He has no bad habits but I also nipped them in the butt from day one because he was a bottle baby and I knew he was going to stay a buck. That means no jumping in the lap lol no jumping or rubbing, he respects my personal space and I am the over all queen of everything and you will respect me. I did loan him out to a friend at 6 months old to keep her buck company and she didn't keep going with my firm hand so when he came home he challenged me once and to be blunt me and my hotshot showed him he is not as tough as he thought he was. Here is a picture of my buck in total rut with my son that I took a a week or so ago ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1475464260.713832.jpg

He is 289lbs and I'm 120 and I can lead him around like a well behaved guy even when he escapes and is being bad with does in heat lol
    BUT now that I have given my 2 cents on bucks being mean I suggest you really think on them being bucks. If gizmo wasn't my fastest growing kid, and he didn't have lines that I really liked as a buck I would have wethered him and had him as a pet. He smells god awful, he only gets scratches on his back because that is the least nasty spot to touch him. I now have many of his offspring so he has worked himself out of a job but he's my baby so no way is he going any place! I have to find him at least one girlfriend to keep him occupied while the other bucks are doing their thing or else he would just stand in a pen by himself. If he was a wether he could at least run with the boys and not cause a problem. Honestly looking back I wish I had wethered him and it has nothing to do with being mean what so ever. So again I just suggest really thinking on keeping them a buck. I was in your shoes 4 years ago asking for advise and I got the same thing about them being mean, which I knew he wouldn't be since I also have a bull that's my pet lol but if someone would have pointed out just how much of a pain in the butt it would be in 4 years I would have just handed him.........but I still love him so I deal with the headache and go with it lol

14. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Exactly.

15. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Isn't the chance something like:

If they stay sweethearts, they will merely see you as a potential mate and maybe just accidentally hurt you or children while reeking like Satan's butt - and causing you and anything near them to smell the same.

If they become mean, they will merely see you as a potential rival and probably just deliberately hurt you or children or each other while reeking like Satan's butt - and causing you and anything near them to smell the same.

I'm not sure you have a non-Satan's butt option here.

16. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Hi! If you stick with your plan to have pet bucks, I want to urge you to really learn about goat behavior & training, & buck behavior specifically. That you encourage them to get in your lap & jump up is concerning--they won't understand when they become too big, strong & stinky for this. Just like letting a cute pit bull puppy gnaw on your finger. It may also lead them to feel that they're higher in status than you, which honestly could result in you being hurt later. I don't agree that most bucks are mean, but it's in their nature to strive for the top spot in the herd, because in the wild only the top buck gets to mate & pass on his genes. As your boys approach their first birthday you will almost certainly find them testing you, seeing if they have a chance to replace you as "top goat." Then at around 3 years bucks seem to go through another stage of goat puberty & more obnoxious, dominant bucky behavior.

You can neuter them at any age if you find that things aren't going as you hoped--it will just be more expensive. Meanwhile, I really encourage you to learn everything you can. Your baby boys truly could become dangerous if they're allowed to challenge you or any other human at all--& some early challenging behaviors are not easy to recognize if you haven't done your research. There have been a few threads here on TGS specifically on buck behavior, horns, dominance, butting & aggression that I think would be really helpful to you.

Those are 2 nice looking boys! One way or another you can enjoy their company--educating yourself is the first step. You also might want to talk with people here about your reasons for preferring bucks over wethers. I've never had a wether, only a buck, but I've noticed that petting zoos & such seem to prefer wethers even over does, apparently wethers have the best personalities when it comes to interacting with human kids. It was already too late to disbud them when you got them, so that decision is already made.

Regarding leash training the less cooperative one, a lot of folks here like to have them on leash & hooked to the fence for feeding time. Just don't leave tied goats alone, & always have something close at hand to cut a leash if one starts strangling himself. It's normal for a goat to freak out if he can't be with his herd mate--I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about that.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, & remember you can always wether them later.

17. Gordie_olwyn

Gordie_olwyn New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Thanks for the responses!! I'm not interested in having a herd right now, just these 2 guys. I thought about in the future, maybe getting another one.. depending on my trust and training with these guys. I'm not so worried about the stink right now. We don't have any close neighbors. They are pgmey goats, the woman I got them from said they won't get any bigger than what they are now. As long as they stay this small I will be able to stay in control. I know alot say don't let them be in my lap.. that was part of out training. "Up" and "down" and they listen really well to that. We also use "easy" when they get to excited and about knock me to the ground over food. They will always get alot of human time, I want to keep them as bucks right now, as I plan to stay stern with them when they get aggressive. But if all fails I will nuter the guys. Just hope it don't come down to that. Olwyn is sweet as can be.. Gordie will be the one I have problems with. He already tries to test me on certain things, but I grab him by the horns and tell him "NO" my son is about to be 3.. he is only aloud out there when I'm out there. They come and sniff him but he is so loud, and they run from him. We have a small dog, and they started off good with him, but now they want to play with their horns and I don't want the dog getting hurt. We will see how everything goes and I might have to get them fixed one day but not any time soon.

18. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    You would be better off to neuter them now, while young. Once those hormones take over, it'll be harder for them.
    I have two of the sweetest bucks ever, but they are in rut a majority of the year. They are stinky, they blubber and spit, pee all over themselves, and fight with each other. Even when I open their gate, not touching them, my clothes stink.
    You really should reconsider your stance on not neutering them. It is unfair to keep them as bucks if you have no plan to use them as bucks. In my opinion you are setting yourself, and them, up for failure

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They will be getting bigger and so will the horns. Don't be surprised if they get to be 100 lbs. The smaller breed males are usually between 80 and 100 lbs. Also keep in mind that instinct can turn into learned behavior.

20. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Yes, they WILL get bigger. Those are 4 month old cute kids. lol Most goats continue growing till they are well over a year old.