The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two bucks turned three this past March so I was expecting the rut to be really intense this year, but I never thought they would take it this far. Usually I fill up their hay rack twice a day and in the past week they've been eating about a third of a rack of hay over two days. They will eat some branches if I cut them, but I can't always dedicate time to cutting them and they mostly prefer to blubber at or rub their heads on the branches instead of eating the leaves. They were in very good condition going into the rut, and they certainly are both acting very vigorous, so I'm assuming it's no big deal but I wanted to make sure that this was indeed normal. They only want to pee on their faces, stare at the direction of the does, and fight each other. Eating doesn't seem to be one of their priorities. Is there anything I should do to encourage them to eat? How long can they go on like this?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I agree with @Caileigh Jane Smith .
My buck did this last year. For Jeffrey, he ate hay in the evening in his stall, but not during the day. He just stared at the girls, whacked things and blubbered at anyone or anything. He went to a 2 for condition over the winter.
I gave him a cup of oats/boss every day and alfalfa, because he ate that. I actually gave that to him all summer, because I’m afraid he will end up losing the condition he has gained since February.

(I am starting to understand why nature makes so many bucks. They have a hard life!)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Unfortunately this is normal. Bucks are such a pain in the butt. If mine loose too much I usually pull them out and give some good grain. Sometimes they would rather be fools then eat even that but I give them the choice. I try not to stress too much because they do eventually chill out and gain weight back fairly fast or I can supplement them well after they are done.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,865 Posts
Yep. I currently have one like that. The other 2 (ND and 75% ND mini-Nubian) and staying fairly conditioned and don't turn down food...in fact the lease buck is getting a little chubs :oops:. But my Nubian buck, I noticed tonight actually, that he's losing a good bit of weight. He eats but not consistently like before. He is so busy running the fence line and tussling with the other boys, he's pretty worked up. I give grain but I think the little piggies are eating more than he is. It will get better. I hate rut...I lose my sweet kind boys and they just look terrible. I had them pretty chunked up before coming into rut so it wouldn't be a terrible weight loss, but poor Ruler. Ugh.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured it was normal, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll keep a close eye on them and if they start losing condition I'll start supplementing them. Ugh, I just hate the rut. As soon as it starts, I can't wait for it to be over. That crazy look in their eyes...😵🤪

Thanks everyone for reasureing me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh yes. That wonderful time of the year called rut. My boy went from a calm sweet little thing saying: ”please pet me”, to a big blubbering oaf saying: “Pet me NOW or I will rub my pee soaked face all over your clean jeans!”
I’m lucky and have a pretty calm, mellow boy that’s not viscous or mean. A little pushy, but not mean. He can’t wait to go with the girls in October though!!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,206 Posts
Oh..all 3 of mine are in with the does. They are all showing weight loss. I love my stinky boys though. Cant help it. When i grain them, I pull them off to the side and make sure they.eat their grain. I threaten the girls with a stick ..my poor boys are hiding behind me...lol lol trying to eat... If I dont, they.loose weight too fast. Lets face it, they are working hard to keep all the ladies happy.🤪🥰🥴

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Ah, this sounds like when my fellow deer ram decides its time to breed. His beautiful gentle brown eyes become black and he keeps me far away from the ladies... except feeding time, and he gets first choice of course. Thank goodness he don't pee himself and he certainly has no competition.... hence he is aptly named Bambie... to remind me that at least 7 months a year he is a gentle soul and not a demon incarnate.... :)

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,206 Posts
Well if hubby..peeed on his face, wallowed in dry dirt naked...then blew raspberries snd snorted..I would have no problem committing that guy!🤪😂🤣😁
So yes @Jubillee ...I am glad...........
Sometimes.😂🤣😂🤣🤪🥴😉😎😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts