Bucks

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Hello! Question...Can you run bucks together? Not together with the does but just bucks. I'm getting another buck the same age as dipe down. Thanks! oh and I'm bring homw my new does this weekend as well! :leap:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    As long as they aren't in rut you can generally run bucks together. During rut they tend to fight.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I always run mine together.

Thats exciting that you are bringing your new does home soon! :cool:

4. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I put all my bucklings in with their dad after a few weeks. It keeps them all in one place and their dad enjoys the company. We only keep our two does and our buck and sell the kids so they aren't here long, but my buck is much nicer to the kids than their own mothers so it's not a problem.

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I know people who run their bucks together even during breeding season!!!!! I have never been able to do that. I am lucky if they can live together when not in rut. (usually mature bucks) Young bucks I will run together but when breeding season comes I have to separate to prevent injury.
    Sue

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I forgot, my brother ran his jr. boer buck with his sr. buck last year. His sr. buck really isn't that big of a bully though, and the little guy got along alright. David has a pretty big area for them.

I ran two buck the same size together last year, well they got in a fight and one broke his scur(Caesar is sick from the injury now) The dairy bucks are really bad about fighting, the boers don't seem as bad.

7. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks guys! Right now my buck is in with a ram and they get along great. I don't think I will be able to sleep to night, just can't wait to the does home! I'll get pic's too....

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    right now i am running three bucks togeather 2 are 2 yr olds & 1 is a yearling. the 2 yr olds have always been togeather. i haveno trouble with them

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i have my bucks together all the time, even in breeding season. that are big nubian bucks that will call their buddy if one has to go out for breeding :wink:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a 5 year old buck in with a one year old, and soon a baby that was born in January. He is starting to mount the girls. When I put Tucker Jo in with the big boys, I will also put a small dog house in the pen so he will have a SAFE place to go when needed.

11. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I plan on running the nubian bucks together in one pen and the two pygmy bucks in one pen.

12. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks guys! :wave: I put them together yesterday and had no trouble at all. Oh and I will have more pics soon...the weather is so nasty!

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My bucks are out together. I have no problems with them, they are actually great buds!