The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 week old alpine buckling. His brother is going for sale and is now a whether. When they banded him they tried to talk us into doing the same to ours because they can be awful. We want him to breed and intend on also getting a doe eventually. Are they really that awful to deal with? I'm not questioning my decision, but here these stories and I think it is something that could be avoided if they are handled properly

·
Registered
600 Posts
Actually, even if bucks are handled properly, they still are bucks :) They usually end up challenging you, and sometimes trying to hurt you. If you do not have any does right now, I would suggest you let the breeder band him. They were right in trying to convince you to do that, especially since you have no other goats, and(I'm not sure about this since you didn't mention it) seem to be completely new to goats. Bucks can be monsters if they don't have a companion, and are not treated with respect and proper handling. Although there are exceptions, bucks are not pet material for inexperienced handlers. They aren't something that you can just..."train" to behave, they have instincts and behaviors that make them who they are. If you are new, I would seriously suggest banding him, getting him a companion, and starting from there. Bucks are only really worth getting when you have a bunch of does to breed them to. Good luck with whatever you decide, either way it would be best if you do a lot of research :)

PS: That story is the one I was going to suggest Amy! Lol, it is a fantastic example of buck behavior. Fias Co Farm would be a great place to learn all you can about goats dorkside :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am not a total newbie to goats, this is just my first goat. I also have general training knowledge on animals. I know how to handle that type of behavior. As I was reading that, I wanted to tell them how they were handling his behavior wrong. Ours also now longer has his horns, so that is one less potential problem. I know they can't be "trained" so to speak. There are ways of dealing with them though. We are planning on getting a doe this year if at all possible. He is still with his brother at my mother in laws and will at least be with my mother in law until late summer and he will be around other goats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not trying to come off as defensive either if I do. I totally understand what you are saying and that I'm sure it will not be easy

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thats great that he's with other goats! Sorry, I didn't mean to..."rant" like that I guess. I just didn't want you to jump into something big like a buck blindly. But you have to remember that goats aren't like dogs or other animals, they are goats. If you have the knowledge to do it, I would say he should be fine :) I will still say though that bucks aren't worth having unless you have a significant amount of does to breed them to. Otherwise they are sort of a waste of money. Either way, a lot of research on bucks would be helpful, I'm sure there are hundreds of threads and people on this website that would give you any information or help you needed. Good luck!

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f218/need-honest-opinions-newbies-owning-bucks-146119/

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f218/whether-wether-145872/

To keep a buck, you need to think about the smell, fencing issues, a companion, conformation, and the expense.

The smell is pretty bad.

You need a pretty good fence to keep him separate from the girls.

You can't keep him by himself or in with the does unless you want a lonely goat or unplanned pregnancies. He needs a companion, either another buck or a wether.

A buck is half your herd. Therefore, you want great confirmation and bloodlines.

I've heard it said it's not worth it to keep a buck until you have 6 does or more . All he's doing for half a year is sitting around eating.

All that said, if you are planning on breeding goats, have the facilities for him, and a job (for him)...do it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goats are their own special thing, but when it comes to dominance issues all animals are the same. If you back down to them they will know they can get away with it. I'm not looking for a pet or I would have had him banded. I'm also not looking for having tons of revenue from breeding him. I just want a small side hobby with them and to be able to when I do get a doe and breed them to use her milk. It sounds backwards I'm sure to have the buck first and I'm sure he will annoy me to no end at times, but I helped birth him and just really wanted to keep him and I think he has such pretty markings and his parents are both have great temperaments for any future kids. Fencing is no problem at all, and neither is the money part of it. I'm rambling about it and probably still sound crazy for doing it lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also really want both of my kids to grow up with goats. They are such great animals and I think it would be great for them to get to experience everything first hand and I want them involved in 4-H as well when they become old enough to do so

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Goats are their own special thing, but when it comes to dominance issues all animals are the same. If you back down to them they will know they can get away with it.
:thumbup:

I'm not looking for a pet or I would have had him banded.
Ok.

I'm also not looking for having tons of revenue from breeding him. I just want a small side hobby with them and to be able to when I do get a doe and breed them to use her milk.
Perhaps get 2 does and a wether/another buck in addition to this one?

It sounds backwards I'm sure to have the buck first and I'm sure he will annoy me to no end at times, but I helped birth him and just really wanted to keep him and I think he has such pretty markings and his parents are both have great temperaments for any future kids.
As long as he's what you want to produce in the kids.

Fencing is no problem at all, and neither is the money part of it.
I wish I was that lucky...lol

I'm rambling about it and probably still sound crazy for doing it lol
Not at all!
My answers are in red.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure I will add more, but to start I just want one of each. My sister in law would be thrilled if I kept his brother and if he doesn't sell I might pay mother in law for him. The one we are keeping she is kind enough to just let us keep him and for now just pay for food and such while he stays there. We are buying as we go while he is there so it won't be such a huge expense for us. Trust me we aren't made of money by any means, I made it sound that way though didn't I lol. It's just us saving as we go for now and contributing to board him so to speak

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the feedback on this as well. I know I'm crazy for even doing this, but I'm confident about it which I think will aid in my handling of him as he gets older

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Ohhh, I didn't hear the part about him being with other goats...:eek:. Sorry, that's why I kept suggesting buying a companion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For now he is with other goats, we are moving to a house late summer so that is when we will be moving him and I want to buy a doe, which I'm sure will not be an easy task at that point, but I can't ask her to keep one that wouldn't have been there already

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have a kinder buck, who really is a pet as well. He has never challenged me, although when he was in rut he did his tongue flappy thing with me, spray bottle worked wonders. My 2 1/2 year old great nephew loves him, and Snoopy loves his attention. I got a oberhasli buckling a few weeks ago... I'm hoping that he will have his dad's temperament because he was nice and gentle:) So far so good with the little boy... He loves people and he loves to play with my oberhasli wethers...:) Spend a lot of time with him and make sure you stop any behaviors you don't want in the future. I wouldn't have my own bucks if there were farms closer to me, but there isn't, and I just chose this route:)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think he is so pretty and I've already seen such gorgeous does that I can't have right now :( lol
He's adorable! I can see why you want to keep him.

Some farms have bred late and some decide to sell does at any time for whatever reason. Doelings may mostly be sold out by the end of summer but there are usually some and there is often someone selling off older does, especially once the 4H circuit is done. I have a friend that supplies doelings for her local 4H and then sells them at the end of the season. If you acquire an older doeling in late summer/ fall when you move, you'll be all set to breed and have milk in the spring.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
He's such a pretty boy!

I had a buck for about a year. I found out 2 important things; even if your buck is sweet and friendly you will have to establish dominance regularly, and you need two bucks because your buck will be the father of your entire second generation of does. My buck has gone to live on a farm upstate and I'll be using a stud for a few years.

Also, they drink their pee and smell very strong, but those are much less important. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts