The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rescued a buck - his name is Handsome Boy.
We now have a baby boy Nigerian pygmy. Richy Rich is what my daughter named him. He is adorable.
Richy rich is Handsome boys son.
Handsome boy lives in our pasture out front with 2 sheep.
I want to keep Richy to breed with my little Nigerian Lavender.
My question is:
Can handsome boy and Richy Rich live together up front or do they need there own areas?
I started with 4 Nigerians in November 2012 to be our pets. We have since rescued 3 pygmy's and 2 sheep. One of the pygmies came pregnant. She had two babies. Then Richy happened because of our unpreparedness.
We love them all and are learning fast!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
They can be together, if they get along, put them together and watch, if they get along they will be fine. When you feed them separate the feed.
They will spar but if they are gentle it will be OK, if they are rough, then keep separate.

Sheep and goats requirement different minerals, goats need copper, but sheep cannot have it. Loose salt and minerals, should be there at all times for the goats, but not sheep, if copper is in it. Bucks needs Ammonium chloride to prevent UC too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pasture is split in two.
One side Mary and Lambert. One side Handsome boy.

I just don't have another space :) . I also thought they could keep each other company. Handsome boy paces the fenceline to stay near the sheep. I keep the does and babies out back with one pasture and 2 stalls with small yards for when babies are born. I wasn't going to keep any of the babies, but we are in love with Richie Rich. Such a sweet, gorgeous little guy.

The other two babies, now 7 weeks old are going to my sister in laws house to be pets for my niece and nephew.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have sheep and goats too... I now copper bolus my goats, and I use the 16:8 sweetlix mineral mix that has copper in it, but it's a low dose and won't hurt my sheep...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know if I ever need to split the boys. Or for rainy times. The sheep have an much nicer shelter. But they all have a place to go :) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts