The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my recent trip to go and get my ladies schooled me a bit on how "real bucks" are. Her bucks are crazy blubby and were constantly jumping up and biting and pulling her clothes. My boys are so quiet and sweet I must be doing something wrong LOL seriously though. They do bucky things like pee on themselves constantly, rub their heads on everything, and blub quite a bit but they aren't NUTS blubby and this....with the girls home now I was worried that I'd have to maybe reinforce my barn stall walls after seeing the ladies bucks going crazy. My boys don't seem to take any interest in the girls at all. I'm sure they aren't in heat yet so maybe they just aren't really paying much attention but they are just likely usual completely happy to go eat and sleep out by the round bales LOL. Maybe this wasn't post worthy or anything I should be concerned about but it just struck me weird. My boy might jump up on my leg every now and then when I have food and they something like to play with the tassels on my clothes but they aren't climbing and terrorizing me constantly. Are my boys defective or just chill? LOL

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
They may have a calmer demeanor to them.

When put in with the does, if they are not interested, and don't want to ask the does if they can, something is wrong.

Copper and other minerals deficiencies can make them lazy.
Or with less sperm counts.

Do they have free choice loose salt and minerals?

Do they have smaller scrotum all of a sudden?

Being over weight can cause laziness as well.

Some breeds are seasonal breeders and do not go into rut and the does do not go in heat cycle until a certain time of year.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
FoxRidge you just described my big boy Diesel, he is the best gentleman around! he WILL get the job done when the girls are ready, (he is very active then) but the rest of the time... good luck getting him going! we can only hope your boy is like Diesel, for seasonal breeders (like my boy) right now he should be out of rut, the obnoxious boys are probably still rutting, but Diesel hasn't peed on himself or blubbed for about a month (maybe longer)

The good thing about a good mannered buck mixed with a good mannered doe you can get the BEST kid friendly babies!!! (not my kid in second pic)
unnamed (12).jpg
IMG_20181204_095654.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
So my recent trip to go and get my ladies schooled me a bit on how "real bucks" are. Her bucks are crazy blubby and were constantly jumping up and biting and pulling her clothes. My boys are so quiet and sweet I must be doing something wrong LOL seriously though. They do bucky things like pee on themselves constantly, rub their heads on everything, and blub quite a bit but they aren't NUTS blubby and this....with the girls home now I was worried that I'd have to maybe reinforce my barn stall walls after seeing the ladies bucks going crazy. My boys don't seem to take any interest in the girls at all. I'm sure they aren't in heat yet so maybe they just aren't really paying much attention but they are just likely usual completely happy to go eat and sleep out by the round bales LOL. Maybe this wasn't post worthy or anything I should be concerned about but it just struck me weird. My boy might jump up on my leg every now and then when I have food and they something like to play with the tassels on my clothes but they aren't climbing and terrorizing me constantly. Are my boys defective or just chill? LOL
Our bucks dont do all the bucky things unless the ladies are in season. They are a ways away from the herd though so maybe that makes a difference. I dunno. But they still know when the ladies are ripe for the pickin lol.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do blub me often and pee all over themselves CONSTANTLY lol. When they are dueling if you are nearby they will run over in the midst of the duel and blub you and then continue their duel lol. They are a bit chunky, I'll get pictures tomorrow for you guys. They have 24 hr access toloose sweetlix meat maker mineral and I copper bolused them about a week ago. Both are generally super sweet and love to be loved and are in your pocket. The girls are very close to them but are are not in heat. These are Nigies. Jasper's scrotum is the biggest it has ever been and its very healthy feeling. Irish's looks the same as it has since he came home in November.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of these have been taken in the last week. Irish is the black and white ( 2 year old buck) while Jasper is the roany and white Little buck (just turned a year old). Ill try to get better pictures tomorrow. This is really as naughty and rough as they get that you see in these videos.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My boys are fat fat, I gotta hold back on their breakfast and evening treats. So something new, Irish is GOING BALD. Everyone is shedding right now but as of yesterday he is just molting clumps of hair. He's not infested with lice, he's acting completely normal and his skin doesn't appear irritated! Its just a mass molt along his back. They just got a copper bolus, stools are fine and their famacha score decent. I'll get pictures and a quick video for you guys. Any ideas? Could he literally just be crazy shedding? The girls came home this last sunday and they have been recently dusted for lice, the boys are kept separate from them and the boys seem to care less that they are there at the moment. I'm just trying to think of anything that could cause this mass hair loss. It isn't rubbed raw, IT JUST FALLS off by the sweep of your hand :eek:mg:

@mariarose @Sfgwife @spidy1 @toth boer goats @ksalvagno @MadCatX @Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Jasper putting on cologne for you!
I have a couple that are shedding long hair, too. It seems to be from the ones with not as much "cashmere".

Reactions: FoxRidge

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Mites, not lice. This is exactly what happened to my Faline. No scabbiness, just itchiness and balding, completely falling out.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I only use a pour-on for surface parasites. I've heard that the injectable given SQ is best. But I can only speak about the pour-on.

No, I would not treat everyone, only the ones whose immune system have been overwhelmed by them. They naturally are on goats, they help keep their skin clean. For some reason, they decided to have a block party on your little guy.

I don't treat everyone for inside parasites, and I don't treat everyone for outside parasites. Just be sure to watch the others carefully...

That's my best advice.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also just did the girls CD and T and they were both dewormed with Valbazen previous (within two weeks) of coming home, if I have to treat everyone with the Ivermectin do I need to worry about toxicity with the girls being previously dewormed?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
they were both dewormed with Valbazen previous (within two weeks) of coming home, if I have to treat everyone with the Ivermectin do I need to worry about toxicity
The regular advice here for normal worming is to worm, then 10 days later worm again, and often 10 days later worm again (often, but not always)

So no, if it was within 2 weeks ago, that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
my Kiko buck years ago did that every year, with him it was zinc deficiency, what I would do is worm him with ivermec INJ twice 10 days apart and give him a human dose of zinc tablets from the super market daily for about a month, then just watch him, thats what I did for my Kiko, it worked but every year it was back (he was my first buck, and I had no idea about minerals)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ill see what I can find with the zinc! I took pictures of the ivermectin products they have at our local store. What do you guys think?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts