BuhBYE Cap'n Pike!

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Dayna, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    That Ram...is definitely freezer bait! In the video:up:

2. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    One of my Nigerians get killer goat mean during rut, but is sweet as pie the rest of the year. He bit my elbow the other day (but only got a mouthful of dirty barn jacket), and tried to head butt me when I reached in to feed him. We had a bit of a "meeting of the minds" so to speak, and he backed down after that, but.......he is worth way too much $$$$ to just ship or even sell. I can't get bloodlines like his any more, bother parents are dead. He's 8 or 9 or so.

3. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I've never had a problem with one at any age really.
    I'm sorry you have had to deal with it.
    Is he the only buck you have? I wonder if having as many as I do (I've got 8 now I think), they work off that energy on each other? Cause they are constantly pushing and mounting each other.
    Good luck

4. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Yes, he was my only buck. I did send him to a home that has multiple bucks so we shall see how he does.

5. downeast

downeast New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Nashville, NC
    I was wondering if anyone here had put a hobble on their bucks? We have Kiko bucks and one Nigerian dwarf buck. My oldest buck (Louie-huge boy and is well over 100 lbs) broke in half a 4 x 4 post to get to the does. We put a hobble on him to keep him from running into things and it really helped. I hated seeing him have to walk slowly, and I would check his legs often to make sure no sores started. After about a week I was able to remove the hobble as he settled down. I did eventually sell him :( but he has a terrific new home with all the does and he's the only buck.

raclay04 and Treva Brodt like this.
  6. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    As a matter of fact, I never had any big troubles with bucks or rams.

Treva Brodt likes this.
  7. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Yes definitely. I have a Mini-Alpine 1 yo, wether 2 yo, wether 4 yo, intact buckling less than 1 yr and intact buck that is 2 yo and a successful breeder. Of course the experienced buck is my naughty boy and none of them have been aggressive with me yet. I didn't know to BOLO for behavioral changes and aggression as they reached full maturity.

8. Treva Brodt

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    I see your posts to the forum often and I believe you to be an experienced member of this group so I would like to know how you discipline your goats for bad behavior. I don't like to hit animals. What do you do to discourage bad behavior? I know you prefer to put your goats to work as it burns off the excess energy which leads to mischief. I don't have a cart :shrug: what else would you suggest?

Trollmor likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Set up an obstacle course and teach him the obstacle course. Go for long walks.

Treva Brodt likes this.
  10. Treva Brodt

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Now that you mention it, my pet wether used to love to take walks with me until we moved to a larger place. Now when he gets out of sight of the rest of his herd he just plants his feet. He was an "only child" until we moved. What's up with that I wonder.

Trollmor likes this.
  11. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I think it is @ReNat who puts his/her goats to work. I have had good fortune, first of all, purchasing very kind animals for the most time. Those who used to bully fellow goats were put into the freezer faster than quickly, leaving the kind ones to reproduce.

I remember once, when I was sitting on a wooden box inside the goat pen, stroking my goats, and one month-old buckling tryingly put his horns among my ribs. I did not even think, I just shoved him away, down from the box. I do not well remember, I THINK I grabbed his ears, at least not his horns. And yelled something unfriendly at him, like "What are you doing, son of a snake?" He never tried it again. (But he ended up in the freezer anyway, because the next winter-hay and the space indoors were setting the limits.)

One thing that goats really detest is a human, wet kiss on their dry fine goaty nose. Also some "paragraphs" can be discouraging from mischief, like when you "read the law" to a dog, nose to nose and a firm but peaceful grip around the neck, talking for some time.

Another effective method is to carry the goat. A small kid you can lift altogether, and so demonstrate how very strong you are! When he grows bigger, you must stick to half the goat, preferably the front legs off the ground, at the same time talking friendly to him, this is not a punishment, but rather an unusual way of cuddling!

Hope it was helpful.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  12. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    What is BOLO?

13. Treva Brodt

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Be On the Look Out