building a free website

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sparks879, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

do any of you guys know about builkding a website. I have tried a couple of different places and it never works right. Where is the easiest? I see a lot of you use free webs...how hard is it to use that one. They all look so confusing to me. But getting one started is sooo expensive!
    thanks in advance
    beth

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    freewebs is pretty easy, I have a slow computer and it still works pretty good. If you want you can look at mine, it's not quite done but it's decent.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thanks crissa, now to get started....i have ictures how do you add them?
    beth

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I built my own site from scratch and it was pretty easy. I am sure that freewebs is much easier though. I can't help out with that but I wish you luck.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I use freewebs and I have always used it. It is very easy(and I can be quite blonde at times) to use. I can never get their picture uploader thingy to work for me but you can use Photobucket pictures which makes it even nicer. Here's mine: http://www.freewebs.com/sandylanefarm I have to do some more updating on it but it's mostly finished and here's my brothers: http://www.freewebs.com/delhotalboerfarm I designed that for him and he hasn't updated it in a long time so I'm just going to do it for him one of these days.
    If you have any questions or troubles with FreeWebs feel free to ask me :) I've pretty much figured everything out on it.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Pretty much what goathappy said. I've gotten the photo uploader to work but only rarely, but I can never be sure if it's my computer or not.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't know what it is. I thought it used to be an internet connection but then when we got satellite it still didn't work for me. :roll: This computer is so slow anyway.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thanks everyone. I think im going to try and use yours as a guide sarah. I took a look at your site. Wow your black lamancha doe raven sure is a looker. You gotten her into the show ring yet?
    thanks again
    Beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Your welcome :)
    Hehe, she's my pride and joy. :D Unfortunately, according to her breeder she hates shows. She said that every time she took her to a show she would have to udder her up for 3 days because she wouldn't make any milk and that she really doesn't like strangers. I am going to try and take her to one show, but I'll have to see.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

you never know until you try right? I had one doe that i got as a yearling. She was wild as a march hare. she had to drag a rope around so i could carch her. I took her to one show and she was my new best friend. Now she quite enjoys the shows.
    I was just taking a look at some of the extended pedigrees on your animals. I have a friend here who breeds lamanchas. She hactually has a buck that is a great grand sire to a couple of your bucks. Lucky Stars 3D Natural. Boy is a pretty boy. Big He has several milking daughters in her herd now and they are all doing well in the ring.
    Jusy Hoy is an awsome breeder. We were stalled next to her at the 05 nationals. She was a great help. I see her occasionally at shows.
    beth

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

well i have the basic pages done...now just to add pctures and text....
    anyone know how?
    beth

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    On you page that you want to add pictures and text, click on the button on the bottom that says "Add a new paragraph" Then it will take you to the site editor and you can add all your text there. To add pictures, in your website editor, there is a little button with a picture of a tree on it. Click that picture and a window will pop up and there will be a thing on there so that you can add a PB image. I don't use their uploader because it doesn't work for me.
    Oh, and also, my sight is a free site, but I took two sites and combined them to have enough pages. FreeWebs only allows 20 pages on a free site, so I got two account to make mine bigger.
    As far as Raven goes, the breeder said she did really good at shows up until 2 years of age, then she just didn't want to go anymore.
    Natural is a really nice buck his daughters are even nicer I think. :)

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm an idiot when it comes to computers...so I would have to say that when I tried the freewebs site deal...it was super easy! I was amazed at how quick I was able to do mine...and doing photobucket before that made it really simple to add piccies to my site....just having the time to sit and design it was the problem! :lol:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    http://www.endofthelinefarm.com

that is mine and it is a freewebs site.

Easy to use - their image uploader is not with a thing but if you have a photobucket account (also free) then you can add pictures using that.

Click on the tree and then insert the direct link URL where indicated. You will have to resize the picture by draging the sides to make it fit.

It is easier too since I already have them in photobucket anyway.

15. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    http://www.ddsmajesticfaintingfarm.com
    is mine and I use shrink pic to resize my pictures. I also code everything so it is a bit more difficult than using one that is already made for you. Sometimes I wish I had a program to do mine for me. We have frontpage but I don't like it.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have never used photobucket before, does that put a link on there or is the actual picture?
    beth

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The actual picture is there. At least thats how mine show up. Photobucket is the simplest way to go...it doesn't take long to upload your pics from your computer and when you want to resize them that option is easy also.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the actual picture shows up IF you do it this way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thanks you so much for the detailed instructions. Im going to have to play with this some.!
    beth

20. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    http://www.freewebs.com/hollowbeadranch
    is mine. This was my first website and freewebs made it REALLY easy!! I wouldn't even know how to begin building one from scratch. I also use photobucket for my pictures and it works really well.

goathappy- How were you able to combine two websites on there to make one? I have been thinking about purchasing one of the plans so that I get my own domain and more pages, but if I could combine two sites or something then that might work.