Building A Goat Farm A Little At A Time

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathiker, Sep 6, 2019.

1. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey people, we are moved, we're living out of boxes, and we're figuring out new bills lol.
    The little farm we bought looks like they used to raise game birds. We have usable old structures and will need some new.
    Going for fencing on Saturday. I'll try to update every step of my side of the property.
    The goats are happy and healthy here.
    For those who knew her, we did lose Guinen. She suffered several stokes right before we moved. Every time she was getting better, she would stroke again. She was pretty elderly, I just wish she had let go sooner.

2. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry about Guinen. Really.

I look forward to hearing about your new farm moving forward.

goathiker likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh no. I'm so sorry about Guinen.

goathiker likes this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    awe..so sorry about Guinen. Best wishes at your new place!!

goathiker likes this.
  5. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Sorry about Guinen.
    Would love to here about your upgrades! I am always interested in your endeavors, you do good research. :)

goathiker and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So very sorry about Guinen. :(

goathiker likes this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sorry for your loss of Guinen.
    It sounds like your new place is pretty neat! Does your grandson like it? I hope he does well in the new school. (My 12 yr. old grandson liked his new school because the teacher and all the kids gave special attention to the "new" kid!)

goathiker likes this.
  8. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I’m sorry you lost Guinen.

goathiker likes this.
  9. goathiker

The new place is great, the people in town are friendly and helpful. There's more churches than bars lol.
    There's a huge amount of recreation here.
    The grandcritter is actually enjoying his school although he was in a bit of temper on Friday because he learned his new teacher already has a boyfriend (he's eight lol)

I have 900 feet of fencing in my truck. Now I just need 10 strong boys, yeah, it's all me lol.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    LOL...so funny when our boys get their crushes lol. Sound like you found home there Jill..congrats!! Be sure to eat your Wheaties before heading out to do fencing!! :dreams:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. goathiker

Well, sorry about the delay. I'm not used to counting my data usage or having a child anymore.
    In planning my fencing I found a tree that's giving me stress. I'll start a new thread for it tomorrow. I think it's a Magnolia but would love positive id.
    If all else fails I'll take a branch to OSU.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so glad your enjoying your new home and community!
    We're just kind of stuck here right now - hubby wants to move and doesn't want to put any more work into this place other than finishing the buck pen shelter (need pallet boards to fill in the gaps then get it painted). He wants to move, but darn it, still no luck finding a place :( Clock is ticking though, we have more does than we've ever planned to keep of breeding age, and wanting to add a new doe kid which means... no move = have to sell someone :(

15. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

If it is magnolia, goats love the big leaves and flower petals. They get to eat the leaves twice a year. The biggest problem is the seed pods, or cones. The pods are small enough to hide in the grass and large enough to make you twist your ankle when you step on one.
    Are the leaves large and hard? Shiny green on top with a dark khaki matte finish on bottom. Seed pods when mature about three inches long and an inch to inch-and-a-half in diameter with red seeds in the cones. Tree has smooth bark, medium dark gray, sort of reminds you of elephant skin.

singinggoatgirl and mariarose like this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California