Building a goat mini barn - Updated 3-17-12

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by HoosierShadow, Apr 20, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, I am new here, and new to raising goats. We are getting our first two boer goat does in a few days - both are pregnant and due in a few months. We are very excited, and our kids are overly excited!

We have to construct a permanent shelter for them, temporarily we'll house them in our mower shed at night until a permanent shelter is built.

He's a rundown of my plan. Sorry if I rattle on...!

*Frame will be made out of PALLETS! We'll use some other wood to help with the construction, and We'll use treated plywood for siding. 2 pallets high would be around 8' tall.

*12'x12' shed. I measured that area and seems to be okay. I want to keep a 6'x6' area for a pallet of hay/straw and a trashcan w/feed. The rest for the goats.

*2 windows, on each side of the shed, with thin cut pieces of wood running verticle in the windows to keep anything outside from getting in! I'll make a solid cover for the winter months.

*Slanted roof.

*3 doors. One for us to come in/go out, and 2 for the goats - so if we have to seperate them, then we don't have an obsticle course of getting them in/out. Their doors will be open during the day with them inside and doors closed at night.

-- Question --- when the kids are born, and we have to seperate the does from each other for a few days or so, would a 6'x6' area be good enough for a doe and her kids? I want them to be comfortable, and they MUST be inside overnight. I figured 6x6 would be big enough for each. And when they are together again, then I'd open the area up.

ALSO - What is a good method of ventilation, especially if I have to have the windows closed? Should I leave an section near the top open, without covering it with wood siding?

ROOF- what is the best way to put on a roof, that is inexpensive? We don't want metal roofing. I want to have a slanted roof - something that wouldn't take as long to put together, so would it be better to make a frame for the roof, and use plywood with shingles? Or the sheets of stuff sort of like plastic <but not the kind that cracks/breaks easy>. I'd have to look at the pricing because they vary.

Is it really necessary to have a floor, or would the dirt be fine? We'd keep bedding in there, and later if need be we can make a floor...

We don't have a dog or a buck, and we've seen fox in the area and I know there have been coyote, so we will keep them inside each night.

We plan on having a small herd, and raising to sell for meat, And know that we'll need more shelter in the future. I actually plan on making small shelters for them with pallets when the time comes. So that everyone has a place to go. We'll also get a buck and looking into getting a dog.

Anyway, do I seem to be on the right track? The only building we've done so far is just replacing some floors in our home <LOL>. Yeah, this will be an adventure! But the bottom line is, I know what 'I' want, and I have it all planned out in my mind. Now let's just see if my husband has other ideas. He works all the time, so we don't have a whole lot of time to construct the shed.

The most inexpensive route would be great so if you all have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Re: Building a shed, questions any advice?

We have a slanted roof- plywood with shingles (off the free pile at recycling). We also have an area at the top that is open for ventilation where the fasia board would be. On a normal house/shed you would enclose that with a soffet but on the goat shed we use it for ventilation. In the winter we just screw up a board to cover it. Dirt floors are probably best (although I don't have one). We lock our goats up at night also (bear on the loose)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

My answer would be to build BIGGER than you think you'll need.....I try and go by the 3x2 needed for each mini goat to be comfortable, Boers are significantly bigger than a mini and when you add in a minimum of 2 kids each, you will get overcrowded in no time. Pallets would do great as a frame...and if they are free thats even better! Dirt floors are fine provided the ground has adequate drainage....some that have dirt floors use sand or pea gravel with a layer of straw over it.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much!

We'll definitely look into getting sand or pea gravel <probably sand for now>.

I do plan on building onto the shed later, adding another section, or just making smaller shelters. I am going to take the pallets and stand them on end and see what I come up with on the measurements I gave. I am trying to keep from having to cut any pallets, and each one is 4' wide.
    We don't have a lot of land, so we won't keep a real big herd, not sure how many we'll end up trying to raise yet, but we're sure excited to get started. My husband's family raise goats in Mexico, and are very successful.
    We want our kids to get involved with 4-H. These does aren't registered, but the kids will be.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

No cutting would be great! I blew a fuse the other day using the power saw...so no cutting is a plus!
    12X12 is fine for the goats....as long as they are comfy, you can even go 12 x 16 to ensure your hay and feed area doesn't encroach on their space.

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Well like I said, my husband has his 'own' ideas too. He just wants to use 2x4's as a frame for treated plywood <like the premade sheds that we have>, and a slanted roof. But if he goes that route, we might do a 'A' room instead. He's worried the 'pallets' will take up too much space...LOL BUT, we will be using the pallets reguardless of what we do - shed or shelters. If we do what he wants ::sigh::, then we'll make their temporary shelter out of pallets and some tarp just until their shed is done.

In the future, we'll use the pallets for shelters for a buck, for dog <if we get a pyramese <spelling?>, and for other goats. All does and young kids would be in the main shelter :) We're getting this figured out! We'll do the plywood roof with shingles - my husband said all the other stuff is just too noisy when it rains. LOL.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

My husband FINALLY will start to get two nights off a week now starting tomorrow & Saturday! So MAYBE if it doesn't rain all day tomorrow we can get to work, I am tired of looking at this not even half finished project! Our girls are around a month from kidding, and I want to get them settled in already!

We need 2x4x12's and we can start the frame for our roof - we already have the other 2x4's we need for the frame.

I'll post pics whenever we get started again to show progress.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Ok so here's our progress so far... from start until now. BTW, it's taking us forever thanks to a LOT of rain this month!

Day 1 - my husband measuring, and putting pieces of wood he cut up into the ground for the support and to help keep the building level. These things are SOLID, so no worry of them failing us.

My husband, son, daughter, and who we refer to as our 'building inspectors' <LOL>, Sweetheart and Snow White.

[​IMG]

Day 2

[​IMG]

4 Pallets on their sides equals - 16ft. long.
    [​IMG]

Day 4
    My BIL helping my husband
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They took some 4x4 posts, cut them down and used them to wedge in between the pallets to help keep them together. It's VERY VERY sturdy.
    [​IMG]

We had to wait for what seemed like forever to start on it again. We have had a LOT of rain this month - I guess we're making up for the lack of rain we 'didn't' have in April.
    It took 2 days to do the roof frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone want some firewood? LOL Eventually we'll move it somewhere else...

[​IMG]

Taken from our back deck. See the temporary shelter on the right? LOL I did have a tarp up but my husband needed it, so I just put the dog house up there on pallets, and that gave them a temporary shelter. And two of our girls LOVE to sleep on pallets... So that's why there are pallets laying around.

[​IMG]

The roof frame nearly ready to start laying the roofing!
    [​IMG]

The pics above were taken on May 20th- morning.

Here are a few from that same evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's what I have so far. My husband is out working on it right now. He is putting more 2x4's vertically through the middle of the 'mini' barn and I can only imagine what else he is doing LOL

We went with ONDURA ROOFING at Lowes. We are not done, still need a few more pieces. They come in 4'x6 1/2' foot sheets and are around $20 each sheet. I think the top piece that covers the arch <not sure what it's called?> was around $15 and covers up to around 6 1/2' long.

All in all, it has cost us more than we thought, BUT that is because my husband decided to use more 2x4's for support. He spaced the 2x4 frames apart every 2' as you can see in the pics above. He also used 2x4's around the door frames.
    I'll try to get better pics, and if anyone ever considers doing something like this, I can try to show more detailed pics of how they put things together. THis thing is VERY STURDY.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

BTW, since there is a roof up, I took the temp shelter down, the girls were sad! So I had to put a pallet in the mini barn for them to sleep on....LOL

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

That's looking really good so far! :) Keep us posted on the progress!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I like it! Awesome use of the pallets too.

I like the pallets for "sleeping" ...I have benches built into walls as my goats like to sleep above the ground too...and the underside is a great hiding place for those that are low in the pecking order.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! I've got to get some more pics of it, and we're still trying to work on getting the siding. It's slow going <we only have an SUV and the siding won't fit in it>. I have hauled EVERYTHING in my SUV so far...LOL

I love using the pallets! And the best part...THEY ARE FREE!!! And I love the fact we can recyle them! We have several left over - we can use them as dividers in the mini barn to seperate goats <put posts in the ground, pull the pallets in place over the posts, and then we can take them out when we don't need them.

Also - I want to make an outdoor shelter with pallets, and a tarp. Sure it won't look fashionable but it works and I've seen other goat breeders use this as well.
    BUT for the roof on that, I'd tear pieces of wood off of another pallet to fill in the spaces, that away water doesn't pool up and weigh down the tarp.

13. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Ok, I just had to post on this...

I've made smaller shelters/mini-shed for each of my pens by using about 6 free pallets each. Everyone has been giving me such a hard time about my "FREE" pallet buildings!! My husband just grumbles to no-end when he's putting them together with me... but I'm SO CHEAP...and times are tough...
    They have turned out beautifully and are amazing solid (so far - knock on wood pallets :ROFL: ) Most of mine are only about 4-5 ft tall "inside" , about 8ft long, and about 5-6 feet deep. They work perfect and are each tightly sided with a Heavy Duty tarp right now until we can purchase some cheaper plywood/T-111 siding to paint.
    I'm looking into making one for the doe's pen that is "2-story", meaning two pallets stacked, like you did on the sides of your "barn"... I just love it! I think your creativeness is inspiring and just wonderful!! Not to mention, it makes me feel better about mine!
    :cool:

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! And yours sound GREAT! Tell your husband not to grumble, it's saving a LOT of $$$, imagine what it would have cost to get the supplies to build the shelters!
    My husband wasn't big on the idea, BUT I did show him some sample ideas of what other people did, and that's what got him on board.

BTW, when I was a kid years ago, my dad built an ENTIRE barn out of pallets! He did use some kind of metal siding to cover it, but still, the pallets were very sturdy, and he made 6 divider stalls with pallets for the horses to come in at feeding time! It made feeding so much easier!

There are so many things you can do with pallets, and you can cut them into sections, etc. and make things. We will need a hay rack and a long feeder inside, and I plan on doing as much as I can with the pallets and scrap wood.

What has been costly is the roof so far. If we could go back, I'd have told my husband to use pallets for the frame and piece them together! It would have worked! But we didn't think about it. We're happy with the end result though! And it is probably a bit easier doing it this way.

The roof is 16'x14' and when all said and done it is taking us 10 Ondura sheets, and 3 ridge covers. We bought the last sheet and cover today. He'll cut the sheet into small sections to go over the edges at the ends of the roof - if you look at the pics you'll see what I mean.

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! And yours sound GREAT! Tell your husband not to grumble, it's saving a LOT of $$$, imagine what it would have cost to get the supplies to build the shelters!
    My husband wasn't big on the idea, BUT I did show him some sample ideas of what other people did, and that's what got him on board.

BTW, when I was a kid years ago, my dad built an ENTIRE barn out of pallets! He did use some kind of metal siding to cover it, but still, the pallets were very sturdy, and he made 6 divider stalls with pallets for the horses to come in at feeding time! It made feeding so much easier!

There are so many things you can do with pallets, and you can cut them into sections, etc. and make things. We will need a hay rack and a long feeder inside, and I plan on doing as much as I can with the pallets and scrap wood.

What has been costly is the roof so far. If we could go back, I'd have told my husband to use pallets for the frame and piece them together! It would have worked! But we didn't think about it. We're happy with the end result though! And it is probably a bit easier doing it this way.

The roof is 16'x14' and when all said and done it is taking us 10 Ondura sheets, and 3 ridge covers. We bought the last sheet and cover today. He'll cut the sheet into small sections to go over the edges at the ends of the roof - if you look at the pics you'll see what I mean.

16. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

I have about 50 pallets sitting in my yard...hmmm :) We've picked them up here and there over the years and now I want to build a few barns!! How many pallets did it take to build your barn?? We have a ton of 2x4's we got last year for free as well. This is a brilliant idea. You mentioned you had some more detailed pictures somewhere? Would you mind posting them so I can show hubs when he gets home from work today?

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Here's some updates on what we have done/are going to do.

First, yes, I am keeping the tarp companies in business :laugh:

Front of the barn with the addition we are making on the side. Addition has an OSB roof and the tarp for now, eventually we'll put something over the OSB, for now how we have it...works. Hubby will fill in the triangle space at the top of the doorway of the addition with OSB. But I think for now we'll just keep tarp and a pallet in front of the doorway for the winter, and open it up in the spring. I don't want anything permanent blocking this doorway, but I might make something I can close over the top of the doorway in nasty weather, and latch it open when it's nice out.

We've been debating what to do with the stall door, and hubby wants us to cover it with OSB for now.We, and use the back stall door instead, so there isn't a lot of draft coming in from the front. So...eventually it will be boarded up, and later we'll put a stall door on it.
    Front stall is the kidding stall for our first doe due <in 4 days!>
    [​IMG]

My husband works 6 days a week, and hasn't had much time to work, so he tried to put up a few more supports last night for the low side of the roof. He has a couple more to install at the far end and then we'll hang the OSB.
    This addition is 16'x6' this is where the girls eat and eventually where they will sleep when we need the stalls for kidding.
    The only thing we've bought with this addition has just been the OSB on the roof and for the sides. We have one small section we need to put on the roof, and it will be ready for shingles, metal or Ondura roofing.
    [​IMG]

Backside of the barn & doorways we are using. Very little wind and no snow/rain come in on this side. Oh, the tarp over the doorway has worked great! But this weekend unless something drastic happens, we'll have a stall door up on this side. We keep loose hay in half of the back stall that we've had to pull from round bales.
    [​IMG]

I don't have a real short lens for my camera, so it makes the inside of the barn seem very small, but it's 16'x12' each stall is 8'x6'
    There are pallets my husband mounted that divide the stalls. On the left side of the big goat there is a pallet that is just tied in place, and we are going to make that our gate getting in/out of the stall, eventually we'll mount a small gate there, for now...my lil pallet works :wink: The pallets on the right we will not cover with anything. Once the addition has siding it will block the wind. In the bottom pallets on that wall I have stuffed some old bedding <not nasty, just old> in the slots and that will keep the drafts off of the babies when they are born :wink:

[​IMG]

It's SLOWLY coming along. I told hubby great idea in saving it for the last minute! But really he's been busy at work, and the weather hasn't been in our favor for working outside, not to mention it's getting dark not long after he gets home.

So far the only thing we've bought for this is some 2x4's for the roof frame and door frames on the barn, the Ondura roofing on the barn, and the OSB boards.
    For the addition the only thing we've bought is OSB for the roof. Everything else has been recycled materials!

Eventually I'll make a couple of small houses behind the barn with pallets, and I also need to make a permanent buck shelter. I'll use pallets, OSB, and not sure what I'll use for the roof on those yet.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Building a goat shed/mini barn - New Pics added!

Looking good!! Tarps are awesome too...though with the wind around here I found that I'm replacing them yearly, no biggie though cause they are cheap!

My goat buddy Steph has a very handy hubby too...for her buck pen, he made "A" frame type shelters with T-1-11 siding left from their barn, they look good and they are moveable, deep enough to house 3-4 bucklings or 2 adult bucks. I'm thinking of building an A frame for my boys to use in the pasture so the barn goes empty and airs out over the summer.

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks Liz! We don't get a lot of really high winds, usually just with thunderstorms in the spring/summer. I get the smaller ones I use on the doorways for about $2.99 each at a store in town. We have a 20x12' over the addition roof that was about $12, so yep they are cheap, but do the job :) Hopefully the rain won't be so bad this weekend so we can get stall doors up. We still haven't been able to finish staining either! We need at least 2 dry days to get that done. In early spring we'll prime & paint everything.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Very nice..... :thumb: :love: