BUILDING A NEW BARN ANY SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 5andcounting, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    We are laying out plans to build a barn in the spring. I have never had a barn, anyone have any suggestions on what we need in there. We have 7 pygmys currently with babies dues in may.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would suggest having a separate area for your grain barrel and extra hay. I normally only have 2-3 girls to kid each spring so I have 3 kidding stalls in the area that I keep extra hay as well as the milkstand and grain barrel. That area is 10x10, the kidding stalls are varied widths to fit in a 10x4 space with the largest stall reserved for the mom that has triplets, these have served me and my girls very well in the last 7 years and they are always cozy and comfie in them ......the girls have a common area for their shelter that is 8x12....this is for 6 nigi/pygmy does. Generally, if space and costs allow, an area of 4x4 should be allowed for each mini goat to avoid overcrowding. I also have an 8 foot bench built in against one wall that is 2 feet in width...the girls that are at the bottom of the pecking order as well as babies have a place to "hide" when the bullies act up.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Build it bigger then you first thought :greengrin: I have 1 barn, 1 goat shed and 2 smaller goat houses. I wish we would've built bigger the first time, then we wouldn't have soooo many shelters around.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We have a large loafing area that the girls stay a little less than 1/2 the size of the barn. We also have separate kidding pens. I have a loft about 1/2 the size of the barn that I can store a little over 50 bales of hay up in. I agree with building larger than you originally plan to do. We are going to make a second loafing area this spring added onto our barn for juniors so they don't get pushed around so much by the elders. We have a ramp built in one corner of the barn that goes to a platform & a second board for the girls to play & excersize (attaching pic) The girls like standing in the windowsills also. Try to make you plan so you can easily get a wheelbarrow in & out to make cleaning quicker.

Attached Files:

5. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Here's what we have planned. A barn 24 long by 16 wide. 2 pens on one side tha will each be 12x8. The rest of the space is storage or if we need to add more stalls etc.One stall will have a corner shower base with a movable shower head to wash them if need be. Will have electric and water(hot and cold) in the barn. We will ad ramps and things to play on as well as cabinets etc once things are done. :whatgoat:

pelicanacresMN
    That's awesome. My hubby ask me that question. DO they need or should they have windows?

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Windows are great but keep them up high so they do not climb in them. Look at some old barn pictures and you will see that most of the windows are at a higher elevation. Look at what is commercially available to get ideas and send for a brochure of the ones you like ...you can then adapt to your liking.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a hay room thats large enough to store enough hay to get you through a large winter storm -- I always figure 3 bales a week for my number of goats (5-6).

Make sure this area is secure from being able to get into -- if the goats get into the grain they can founder ( say this out of experience).

Have kidding stalls -- depending on the number of goats kidding at once -- 2 or 3 should do it for your small herd, because they dotn stay in the stalls forever, I tend to leave mine in for 5 days to a week for bonding and so the kids dont get bullied.

You want a common area that will comfortable fit everyone (kids included). When it rains for long periods they will be stuck in that common area and you want them to be comfortable. Mine is 8X12 and its a good size, also my kidding stalls open up into this area so if needed they can have that extra space.

If you can get electric thats awesome, some people dont have that luxury - wish I did.

Now you said you will be getting pygmies -- you can milk them, but I am sure thats not your main objective, either way I suggest getting a milking stand -- these are good for when you HAVE to milk a mom and just for general handling (hoof trimmings, vaccinations, etc) I mention the milkingstand because you will want to have a place for it. So figure that into your plans as well.