The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finally in the works for building a new doe barn! We're planning to use a carport as the roof/base, and trying to figure everything else out from there. I'd originally wanted to order it today, but will have to wait until Monday most likely so we can figure out all the details. Hoping it will only be a 3-5 week wait for install (fingers crossed).

Do any of you have a carport shelter? Pros and cons? I've asked on a FB group and got good info, but always looking for more considerations.

Our biggest issue right now is placement. We have a small place with a creek that runs through the middle, it usually has no more than 2' of water in wet season, and seldom comes out of its banks near the current setup. We plan on installing a thick layer of gravel and some crushed type of rock (Class I sand most likely) on top.

Placement... my husband wants to have it facing east/west (our home runs long ways east/west). It would work, BUT, we wouldn't be able to see beyond it - into the doe pen, or view of the back of our place. Otherwise that option is fine.
But if we sort of put it where the old doe shelter (cattle panel shelter) is at and just move it away from the barn a bit, having it face south/north, we can have more of a view of does, creek, back of our place, but... barn, buck shelter and new carport barn would be grouped up so we'd really have to consider drainage options (we have no issues inside the cattle panel shelter as far as drainage issues go, floor is built up higher than outside).

We'd agreed on having them enclose the sides with metal and we'd enclose the ends so we can make doors, windows, etc. out of wood. But I'm wondering if it would just be better to do wood all the way around. If we do metal we'd put panels or something on the inside & outside to keep goats from touching metal.

We'll do either spray foam or wrapped foam sheets for the inside of the roof to hopefully help with condensation and weather conditions (cold in winter, HOT in summer).

We're planning on doing 20Wx32L. Front half 2-3 stalls on each side (Boer goats), middle would be creep area for babies to come out into, and back half for does to sleep/lounge. Open it all up when stalls are not being used is a possibility.

Sorry to write a book, but if this all works out I figure this might help the next person who wants to go with this idea as well :)

I've considered maybe we could do the sides like this:

Or sort of like this. Again not sure if we'll do sliding doors or doors that open up. I worry about goats jumping on the doors so have to have a way to keep them from destroying them lol

This is the same size carport we are planning to get, this one has the sides and the end gables. We've debated 1 enclosed side, and the rest wood, both sides enclosed upon installation, but have not talked to my husband about the Gables yet. We'll be installing posts inside to help with keeping it tied down and support if we ever get any snow (we have had very little the last couple of years).

Also planning to do a barn red not brown

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,731 Posts
Very nice idea. Will cameras help see the does if the placement of the building blocks the view? You have alot of choices..but they all sound good. Cant wait to see what you end up doing!

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I would want to be able to see more of the beauty were it ours. Also. In door placement.... think and pay attention to what way most of your weather comes through. I would try to put the doors opposite of that.... at least that is how we do it here. But our barns are quite open on the fronts too. So the way the weather comes in most of the time might be a bit more important to ours.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would use wood on the side. We know a lot of folks who have done carport shelters and every single one regretted doing metal siding. They just become a hotbox! I'm glad you are going to insulate the roof- I was going to mention that! We just put up a 40x60 pole barn (kit from builders discount). Love it! We insulated the roof as well. Worth the $ in the long run!

Make sure you make it tall! In our old barn I would constantly hit my head (several diagnosed concussions...) because the bedding builds up in the winter, and you don't have as much head clearance. You may also need to put in 8+ inches of rock and grit depending on mud issues.

Another thought..... Think about gutters. With the pics you put up, I don't see any good way to install/utilize gutters. Rain coming off the roof can flow right through your barn. We just had gutters put on our barn for this very reason. It SUCKS when you barn is muddy/flooding.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread! We were actually looking at a carport for equipment storage (trailer, spreader, tractor, implements) and hay storage, and also having a buck stall to get them out of the main barn and give more room for does.

Any idea if it is difficult to attach wood siding? Do you have to put in wood posts for support? I really like how the one has the clear panels to let in light.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think @Jessica84 has a carport shelter, but I could be thinking of something else.
I do but I use the tarp kinda carports.
Can't wait to see what you do. You always take your time and think things threw so I bet it will be wonderful. Although I cringed a little when you said you were going to take down your cattle panel shelter lol my two cents is if you have the room to keep it up do so, you can never have too much shelter. I still have my original little shack I first made for the goats and it's not used much but it sure comes in handy when I need a little pen with shelter

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone! We're excited and anxious to get this project under way! But trying to figure out the best route to take with it has been a back and forth issue.
I definitely don't like the idea of losing view of the place, but after looking and looking again, having front/back facing east/west is probably best because of drainage issues that we'll face. Small space, and everything will be kind of cramped together.

Goat Whisperer - I agree about metal siding, I've heard the same thing, and it worries me. I told my husband we should just order the carport and if he really wants metal siding, we could order sheets in the color we want from Lowe's, then we could cut out windows. But wood siding IMO would just be better because we'd still need to cover walls so they can't mess with the metal.

I want to have windows - maybe glass, but doubtful, I'm afraid we'll find a dumb way of breaking them lol. But at least wood doors on the windows we can open and close as needed, could even put screens to help reduce bugs/flies in good weather.
I would LOVE to put the clear roofing sheets around it to allow light inside especially in the summer like in the first picture I posted above. Then have the windows spaced out.

NDinKY - A lot of the pictures I've looked at when searching carport barns, carport barn wood siding, etc. and a FB group people are putting posts in the ground, then drilling holes in the carport frame and attaching carport to posts for added security, then attaching the wood siding or boards to the posts. It was recommended to me to NOT attach the siding to the metal structure legs and weaken the metal with a bunch of holes. But attaching the metal frame to posts with limited holes wouldn't hurt it.
We may use a company called Quality outdoor products, a local feed store orders through them, and charges 10% down, delivery and installation is 20% of total carport price, total remaining amount due on carport is paid upon delivery/installation. Not sure how other companies do it. Big issue is time frame for delivery/installation, I've heard some companies are running months behind.

Jessica - Aww thanks I appreciate it! I actually do plan on repurposing the cattle panel shelter, just not sure where/how just yet, waiting to see what we come up with on the new barn. Once I order the new carport and have a delivery/install date, we'll tear it out and put it up temporarily where it's out of the way and the girls still have a place to sleep.

This first pic is view from my back deck. Orange tape shows the length and about where it will be although we'll move it to the left more so it's not right up against the barn. All that old fence will come down. Because the grass is grown up so tall in the creek it's hard to make it out, but creek runs right through the middle of the place on the left side. Old bridge is back near the left corner of the little buck pen in middle of pics (where the old hay is at). We're also getting ready to install culverts in the creek to make a new bridge!

Terrible angle, and measuring tape isn't straight, but gives an idea how wide it will be

Makes it look little lol But the new building would be 20x32, and the cattle panel shelter is 11x19.

Please don't mind the mess of a barn front, haha. We'd fully expected to add onto the front and take off all the doors, etc. so we haven't done anything with it. So when we get building materials for new shelter/barn, we'll fix the doors on the front of the barn and get it all up to par so it's not an eye sore. I'm hoping to finally paint the buck shelter next week, although we still need to find some more boards. My husband used pallets for the sides, and filled in openings with pallet boards, but I can't seem to find the same sized pallets so the board will fit.

My son and I dug up the electric to our septic pump the other day (wire laying across the ground in some pics), it ran through the edge of the doe pen gate, and along the fence, so now it's buried out of the way. A plus? now we know where it's at, if we want to eventually run electric out to the new shelter and have a couple of power outlets that is a possibility.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,287 Posts
I want to have windows - maybe glass, but doubtful, I'm afraid we'll find a dumb way of breaking them lol. But at least wood doors on the windows we can open and close as needed, could even put screens to help reduce bugs/flies in good weather.
I don't know if this would be possible, but you could have plexi glass windows. My prefab barn has plexi glass windows and they are great.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if this would be possible, but you could have plexi glass windows. My prefab barn has plexi glass windows and they are great.
Thanks that is definitely something we can look into!

Next big thing I need to figure out is a good, affordable wood for siding! I don't want any gaps for drafts/rain, but my husband likes the looks of using boards vs. sheeting. Although... I told him, we could still do metal sides if he wants as long as we put in windows and allow air to flow through.
My daughter's show animals would stay in the barn, so I'm planning on getting some fans to use as well.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm ordering the new doe shelter/barn tomorrow! Finally! We went to look at some of the buildings yesterday at one of the dealers so my husband could get an idea of what we are getting ourselves into.

So... it will look like the attached pictured carport but longer.

We started tearing down the cattle panel shelter this evening.
Poor thing... but it sure did it's job, but what an eye sore it became :( If we had painted it, then I think it would have still looked fairly decent.

We set up the cattle panel with cover elsewhere, but honestly don't think the does will like being over there next to the house, so we may have to move it, but at least if it were to rain they have access to shelter. I may end up moving it back there next to the fence where the boys are at.
I'm getting ready to get paint for the buck shelter so we can get that painted, and eventually repaint the barn, and take that feed bag off the front - the top door is warped a bit so strong wind/rain storms were blowing a little water into that front area and we had feeders right there. one day I hope we'll still at least put a covered roof over the area in front of the barn. Going to reconstruct that front area that sticks out, and make it so we can push 2 round bales of hay in there with double doors.

Attachments

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So exciting! I can't wait to see what you do with it. The does must be like, wait I thought there used to be a barn here.:what:
Thanks! Yes I agree, they are locked in the back of our place during the day, so when they came up they were like... 'Where's our home?' lol.

They are laying around the hay feeder in the cattle panel shelter old spot tonight. Tomorrow I may try to come up with a better spot for their temporary shelter. Forecast is now calling for a lot of rain tomorrow which I wasn't expecting the word 'torrential' in the forecast. Ugh. So we'll figure something out. Where we put it, the trees would help block some of the rain, plus there is the smaller shelter.

If they act like complete damsels in distress, I'll just have to rearrange the boys. 2 young bucks and a wether have the side of the barn closest to where the cattle panel shelter AND 1/2 of the buck shelter. So I could always move them out of the barn. Please pray that doesn't happen because I can see it being pure chaos lol

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't been on here in a while, and thought I'd update! So the building spot is ready for gravel. Unfortunately, the truck couldn't get the gravel onto the spot due to soft ground (got stuck so it's as close as he could get it). We had 2 loads of #2 delivered today. We'll either see if we can rent a Bobcat from someone we know, or if we have to we'll manually move it with shovels and wheel barrow (done it before -- gravel around the barn area and in the buck shelter lol).

Yesterday morning I burned all the old wood from the cattle panel shelter, and dug up some muck from the old shelter where it packed into the floor like dirt.

Marked location for the new shelter!

Dump truck was just too heavy to get around the corner, darn! But it's much closer than dumping it in the driveway!

I was really hoping we could have had it dumped on the spot, so this weekend with rain coming we could get an idea of where drainage issues could present. Fingers crossed we can get this moved quickly because I am anxious to plan out where to bury some drain pipes to help with any issues as it will definitely not be an easy task.

It will be another 2-3 weeks before we get the carport installed but we're hoping to get this done and leveled so the ground has a little time to settle.

So that's where we are right now. Slowly getting there :)

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Well, Bobcat is looking less like it will happen due to the extended forecast - rain which means soft ground getting softer, ugh. So we've been doing manual labor and honestly, we almost have the 1st load moved. My husband and son got a lot of it moved with my daughter and I helping. My arm still isn't right (ugh), so I try not to over do it.
Expecting rain tomorrow especially in the afternoon with heavy rain a possibility, so we may not get much more done until Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

We've downsized our herd considerably, these are 6 of our 8 does! (2 adults and 1 baby doe stay in the barn at night so baby can get to her creep feeder).
The girls think I have cookies when they heard my water bottle crinkle lol

Harmony on right is dam of Mindy (2yo) and Aspen on the left (yearling).

Misty (red) is our eldest doe (5 1/2), and her yearling daughter Willow

1 - 20 of 63 Posts