Building a new doe barn!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 14, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! I can't wait until it's installed! I am very much a visual planner, so it's hard to figure out how we'll do the inside.

We also need to finish the buck shelter. We just have one wall that still needs boards. I want to get it painted in the next couple of weeks. Really should have gotten it done so we could paint it this week!

We raised the floor about 1' or so with Class I Sand earlier this year and put the stall mats over it. Warm months we don't keep any bedding down, and that also keeps them from wanting to pee inside! The young boys generally will not pee in there if we keep all the hay swept up, same with the big buck. They are wasteful with hay though, so between hay/poo we sweep twice a day. I did just sweep his side out - he is the worst with hay, looks like he has a party with it lol
    [​IMG]

Weird wide angle pic. Yep gotta get this thing done, we built this last year and never finished it lol. My husband is being picky about the pallets for getting boards off of (ugh). Need to cut the extra length off the top (we were going to extend the roof and decided not to). Ignore the mismatch barn lol we never finished painting because we had goats back there that wouldn't leave it alone years ago lol Getting ready to paint barn too! Barn was originally that blue grey color, I told hubby nope RED! haha.

[​IMG]

They yucky green area is near the gate (not pictured) and that is where the buck likes to pee lol. We're planning to work on that part of the pen just not sure yet what we'll use - gravel or make a walkway with large rock. It gets pretty mucky in the winter/wet months.
    [​IMG]

So this is about what it looks like in the evening if it's swept out in the morning. We have a pile and pick it up every other day or as needed. I don't get too picky if it's mostly spent hay.
    [​IMG]

Not fancy, but it has worked out great. It faces the east, near the fence/tree line and really helps keep the weather out. Now to get this thing finished, I just need to measure pallet boards and see if I can locate the exact same size (came from construction site).

2. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thought I'd update our progress so far! The Carport is running about a week behind, and should be here sometime this coming week.
    Last week we got Grade driveway Gravel and put it over the 2" gravel. It was quite funny seeing this big truck back there. This guy wasn't going to get stuck and he didn't lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While waiting, and having some dry weather I picked up some barn paint and we got the buck shelter painted. When my husband takes his vacation he's going to find the right sized pallets so he can pull boards to fill in the gaps and get this shelter done!
    [​IMG]

The boards that are longer are there on purpose to help hold the rocks/wood barrier on the bottom in, so the Class I sand flooring doesn't erode out over time.
    [​IMG]

Got this shelter that the does currently have access to as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These old sheds are... OLD, haha. They are next to the house, and are in need of major TLC, but look good now with a new coat of paint (minus 1 side - ran out of paint lol)
    [​IMG]

I'm not thinking Bonfire for these things anymore right now...lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to paint the barn as much as I can hopefully in the next week. Can't really do the front doors until my husband fixes them.

Moers kiko boars and ksalvagno like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

:great: Lookin' good! I love red barns. All of ours are red with the exception of our largest. (It has such lovely knotted wood, we stained it instead). Can't wait for your carport to get here! I hope the installation goes smoothly for you.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They look great!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Looking Good! It's amazing how new paint can make old look great!

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank you! I love red barns and I agree it's amazing how a new coat of paint can make old buildings look great again!

That run in shelter that we painted yesterday we got from our neighbor about a year ago. He passed away back in March from cancer and is missed so much (Retired Ag teacher, active in his Church, long time sheep breeder and all around great man). It felt good to revive the shelter, I thought about him the entire time.

Still nothing on the carport yet, but I'm hoping if no more delays that it is installed before Friday as I start working at the horse track on Friday. Crazy that it's been 11 months since I've photographed a race there!

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for posting! I've been hemming and hawing about painting (or staining) an old barn on our property we use for hay storage. It really does make a world of difference! I need to do it after seeing your sheds all done up.

When you put the sand in the buck shelter or the gravel where the doe carport is going - what did you use to compact it?

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Your welcome! I bet your barn will look great! We had put it off partly because paint is so expensive (at Lowe's), and not having the buck shelter completely finished with missing boards. But then I saw that Rural King had 5 gallon buckets of flat red barn pain for $53 vs. Lowe's $103 (glossy and apparently the only one they sell now). I need to go get more as soon as I get a chance.

Honestly, we have done everything manually. If you can level it as best you can and put down stall mats that IMO would be the best/easiest way to compact it. My husband used a heavy canvas that he anchored the sides down and let the boys walk over it for a couple of months before removing the canvas and putting what stall mats we had left down.
    The mistake he did make was not building a good barrier around the sand. I highly recommend at least a wood barrier to keep the sides from chipping away. He sort of has a barrier on the sides, but later on we'll end up working on that to make it better. The front corners he didn't quite have enough sand to go to the wall, and that area chips away which is frustrating when cleaning - then the little guys dug it out a bit since that seemed to be a perfect sleeping spot (lol). But again If we had a barrier and a little more to fill that in, then the hole wouldn't be there.

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh good tip about the Rural King paint, I would have never thought to look places other than lowes/home depot for paint but we have Runnings here, I bet they have similar to Rural King!

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep, definitely check around! I really didn't know where else to check other than TSC. The local Ace Hardware is fairly expensive on anything. I try to avoid Walmart, but I haven't checked to see if they sold any. I love the new Rural King, it's about 20 minutes away if I take the interstate. Rural King tried to come to our town years ago and the town boycotted it. I understand it would hurt a lot of the small businesses, but come on... people will just go spend their $$ in another county...

Carport update? They should be here bright and early tomorrow to start setting it up! Fingers crossed all goes well! We're very excited! But then the real fun will come... once it's set up we have to get an idea of what we're going to need in order to get it ready so the girls can at least move in. Their temporary setup is fine, but they absolutely don't like it and want to be back near the barn and I can't blame them.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thought I'd update that our carport was installed today! We love it and can't wait to get started on getting it ready so eventually the girls can move into their sleeping area in the back half!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll have to figure out what we'll line the walls with (OSB or plywood would be ideal, but prices I've heard have skyrocketed....), insulation needs to happen in these first steps and get that out of the way.
    Sleeping area in the back needs to be done, then the stalls.

We have some ideas for the stalls - using old horse stall doors! We have some of these old stall doors that we can cut to size and use as stall dividers like we did in one section of the old barn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd really like to put them to use inside because they are just going to rust out in the weather.
    Plan is to cut them to size and paint them (need to find ideas for paint!).
    [​IMG]

We plan on completely redoing the fence in this section anyway as well as the buck pens. We may end up selling our buck after we are done breeding so no rush on this right now.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

That looks great! (dance)Those stall dividers look like a really awesome solution.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Congrats! That looks really nice! I hope the goats enjoy all the work you have done!

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Everyone I appreciate it! I've been super busy the past several days, and haven't had a chance to work on anything. I'm hoping to get a chance to do that tomorrow - start looking for and pricing building supplies. I thought it would be easy, but now that it's here I am so scatterbrained. Where to start? lol. I'm thinking we should start on the back wall and doors first, then get the back half done so the girls can move in, then work on the front. We placed it so the front will face east - our weather usually blows in from the west or south, sometimes from the north, very rarely from the east.