The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again! This doe gave birth 4 months ago and has lost maybe 20 lbs. The vet said to dry her off, watch feeding, and test for CAE/John's (although unlikely since she was from a negative farm when I acquired her 6 months ago). Vet did not test for pregnancy at that time. This bulge comes and goes, in the same spot on the right side
Light Working animal Dog breed Grass Liver

Thigh Knee Tints and shades Chest Trunk

. NOT on the left side. Is this the head of a fetus or maybe something she swallowed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you feel it when it was bulging out? Was she in with a male that she could have gotten pregnant right after giving birth?
I felt it, it feels mostly squishy. There 'might' have been a harder area but I didn't want to press too hard. Yes, as I recall she was in the barn with all the goats. I wasn't aware they can get pregnant so quickly.

·
Administrator
92,608 Posts
There is a chance she could re breed.
Is she forming an udder?
How does her pooch look?
Can you get pics?

She would have to be far along in pregnancy if that is a kids head there.

Losing weight.
If she is still in milk, it can drain them as in losing weight.

When were the kids pulled? If she is just starting the drying off progress, the kids also drag them down.

Worse case, it is a tumor.

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,723 Posts
I have some does who have that, and they are my bigger rumen does. I'm pretty sure it's just because the rumen gets so big at one point, that it stretches. Could also have stretched if she was carrying lots of kids

Reactions: Boer Mama

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi,
Is she forming an udder?
How does her pooch look?
Can you get pics?

Losing weight.

When were the kids pulled? If she is just starting the drying off progress, the kids also drag them down.

I separated the buckling from her 10 days ago, and tried separating the doeling 3 days ago. The doe grunted in the morning so I let the doeling nurse 2x a day. One teat looked bulgy red and hot. She does not like pictures taken of her rear. Here's the best I could get right now.

·
Administrator
92,608 Posts
Her udder may be tight because she is pregnant and she is getting closer.

Don’t let her daughter nurse her if she is ready to kid. The new babies will need the colostrum. Not knowing her kidding date is hard.
Hopefully she doesn’t have mastitis going on.

·
Fair-Haven
5,723 Posts
If her udder is hot and tight, you need to milk a bit and check for mastitis. A pregnancy blood test or ultrasound is in order. If she is hot and full, if not pregnant you can help her a lot by milking her empty. If she is pregnant… then you don’t want to deplete supply. Figuring out what is going on with her is in her best interest

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is she forming an udder?
How does her pooch look?
Can you get pics?

Losing weight.

Hi, was finally able to get some clear pics of her udder. The bulge comes and goes regularly in the same place. The doe appears to have pica, is acting more aggressive, and does not want to nurse her doeling. She looks really uncomfortable walking with that udder.
Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Natural material Snout

Fawn Working animal Terrestrial animal Landscape Snout
Working animal Grass Grazing Fawn Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Mammal Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Mammal Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The
Her udder may be tight because she is pregnant and she is getting closer.

Don’t let her daughter nurse her if she is ready to kid. The new babies will need the colostrum. Not knowing her kidding date is hard.
Hopefully she doesn’t have mastitis going on.
The home California mastitis test looks positive on both teats. The vet said that test always gives false positives for goats. Recommended milking her. I also gave her oxytetracycline and rumatel.

·
Administrator
92,608 Posts
You need to milk her out totally if she tested positive for mastitis and if her milk looks odd.
Then infuse her with today mastitis treatment.

You really should do a blood test or ultrasound depending on how far along she is to see if something is in there, to see if she is pregnant.

If she is ready to kid, she will not be able to feed her new babies with mastitis going on.

Her kid which is trying to nurse needs to be pulled from her so the treatments are not milked out. Do it Every 12 hours to do the treatment. Until cleared up.

If she is pregnant, hopefully you can get her cleared up before she kids and has time to recoup colostrum.
If not, have some from a clean herd goat or a supplement type ready and in the freezer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You need to milk her out totally if she tested positive for mastitis and if her milk looks odd.
Then infuse her with today mastitis treatment.

You really should do a blood test or ultrasound depending on how far along she is to see if something is in there, to see if she is pregnant.

If she is ready to kid, she will not be able to feed her new babies with mastitis going on.

Her kid which is trying to nurse needs to be pulled from her so the treatments are not milked out. Do it Every 12 hours to do the treatment. Until cleared up.

If she is pregnant, hopefully you can get her cleared up before she kids and has time to recoup colostrum.
If not, have some from a clean herd goat or a supplement type ready and in the freezer.
ok, what is the name and preferred brand of this mastitis treatment?
I'm less concerned now that she might be pregnant due to the comment here that the bulge is her abomasum. The vet saw this doe in April, and looked at the above pics and thinks she just needs to be dried off and fed properly. I don't mean to be unappreciative of everyone's comments here. I suggested that if the doe doesn't put on weight in a week then I'll take her in, and request the fecal, ultrasound, and somatic cell. The vet is 3 hrs away so it's a considerable expense.

Edit: did milk her out completely this morning, took kid off her.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts