The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey all, I guess I'll have to take to the vet tomorrow. Her udder has been changing color from purple to black, and the color is rising from the teat to the rest of the udder. I googled gangrenous mastitis and the treatment is oxytetracycline, which I gave her for three days. Also gave her more of her own milk today, and propylene glycol.

·
Super Moderator
35,662 Posts
With black mastitis she will loose any parts gone black. But you can save the doe...glad a vet will be involved. Keep up with the la 200. Rumem support as well.

Best wishes

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Hey all, some good news. Two vets and a student (seemed like the head teacher, and a more senior department head) from Ohio State just looked at her, they didn't see any clinical signs of mastitis, but gave her an intramammary injection just in case. Suggested it was a good idea to dry her off, and the injection would do it. Sounds like I may have tried to wean her too quickly. They saw the dark pigmentation but didn't have an explanation for it. All clinical signs appear normal. They said she had gained 5 lbs since we were here in April. I asked why she looks so thin, and he said dairy animals tend to look that way. BTW I did give her cabbage, and her own milk, as suggested here.

·
Super Moderator
35,662 Posts
Good news. Sometimes the pigmentation of the teat and udder can change. Glad it was normal. If no mastitis then why further injections?
Yes, dairy tend to be more hippy than most goats but we should not see spine, ribs or pointed hip bones. There should be a good layer of fat over them. If you can post a whole body shot from side, back and front view..but from early pix above..I don't think she's Terribly thin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Good news. Sometimes the pigmentation of the teat and udder can change. Glad it was normal. If no mastitis then why further injections?
Yes, dairy tend to be more hippy than most goats but we should not see spine, ribs or pointed hip bones. There should be a good layer of fat over them. If you can post a whole body shot from side, back and front view..but from early pix above..I don't think she's Terribly thin.
They said the injection would prevent further milk production and cure the most common form of mastitis. The did a somatic cell count but since the test is designed for cattle they were fairly sure negative but erred on the side of caution. To me she looks too thin, but the head vet was not concerned and said she could be bred again in October. He seemed knowledgeable and compassionate. He was against milking them for human consumption after the natural weaning period.

·
Super Moderator
35,662 Posts
Ok. Gotcha So the injection was a teat infused. I thought was the la 200.

against milking them for human consumption after the natural weaning period.
Well that is his right..as long as he doesn't force that option on you. If you want her milk..then milk her after the withdrawal period from the meds. You don't have to dry her up unless that is your desire.
To add weight to her..add fat to her diet. I like ex. Virgin olive oil. Drizzle over her feed. A tablespoon or so is good.

Best wishes

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Ok. Gotcha So the injection was a teat infused. I thought was the la 200.

Well that is his right..as long as he doesn't force that option on you. If you want her milk..then milk her after the withdrawal period from the meds. You don't have to dry her up unless that is your desire.
To add weight to her..add fat to her diet. I like ex. Virgin olive oil. Drizzle over her feed. A tablespoon or so is good.

Best wishes
OK. Any other tips besides olive oil on her food? I read sunflower seeds are good.

·
Super Moderator
35,662 Posts
Flax oil. Flax seed, black oil sunflower seeds can all help boost fat...calf manna is a good product for added goodies. Just a small amount of any of these. Keep in mind..weight gain comes slowly. Look for signs of improved health.
Shiny coat, bright eye, active, alert, chewing cud, eating well..pooping berries ect

41 - 53 of 53 Posts