The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a bull snake kill my goats, or my dogs? Worried about both, especially my small pugs.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Bull snakes are not poisonous...unless a very large one wraps around a small dog or kid goat..but I have never known one to be that adventurous...they tend to like an easy meal such as my eggs :p

·
I'm watching you
22,542 Posts
Bull Snakes are your best friend. They eat Rattle Snakes and rodents. They may take eggs, chicks, and baby rabbits. They don't eat anything larger. Manage them well and they will care for your farm in return...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you are right. I read they can get up to 6' long- that's scary. Want nothing to happen to my babies

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Helpful or not they ate over 80+ eggs this summer so far!! mostly turkey..I kill them lol

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
No its not...my hens were nesting ..we counted over 80 eggs between them..next morning...all but 9 or so were gone!! plus a number of chicken and duck eggs...we found a snake next with broken eggs shells and different sized skins...needless to say..my son is on the look out for the owner to return home ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,542 Posts
I've heard that's a myth actually...them eating rattlesnakes.
They fill up their territory and compete for the same food sources. It comes out much the same.
The first anyone new wants to do out in the high desert is kill the big Bull Snakes, once they do that the Rattlesnakes move into the slot instead.

6 feet is not that big for a snake. They are very slender, their heads aren't big enough to swallow anything large.

·
I'm watching you
22,542 Posts
Cathy, snakes don't leave broken eggshells. I suspect that you are blaming the wrong creature. 70 eggs in one night would imply that you have a rather large rat problem.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
YIKS....not seen any rats..but have seen the snakes..I didnt know they didnt leave egg shells behind...Maybe skunk or raccoon?? but then my Dogs would go nuts..???? it is a lot of eggs in one night for sure!!

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
ok...what is a stoat???

·
I'm watching you
22,542 Posts
Yep, King Snakes for sure eat other snakes and the California King is really pretty.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I love king snakes. They are pretty and useful. We like garter snakes and spreading adders and green snakes too. I don't care for chicken snakes though.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
awe..a snoat is cute lol...I thought it was a joke..like maybe snoat stood for sneaky goat lol...Haven't seen anything that cute around here..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No its not...my hens were nesting ..we counted over 80 eggs between them..next morning...all but 9 or so were gone!! plus a number of chicken and duck eggs...we found a snake next with broken eggs shells and different sized skins...needless to say..my son is on the look out for the owner to return home ;)
He might want to be a little careful, I believe snakes swallow eggs whole. I know they don't break the eggs prior to eating them. Seems to me like you're blaming the wrong critter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts