The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
perhaps...we haven't seen any sign of any other critters..but we will take a better look around...should be hard to find..it will be the one fat on eggs lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
A snake wouldn't eat 80 eggs for sure, we have snakes they don't leave cracked shells either they swallow whole. They don't tend to gorge themselves even a six foot snake would eat a rat or a couple of eggs and be done. We have found several rat and garders in our yard, my husband the snake whisperer catches them and moves them to the woods out back. Snakes play an important role in the environment they keep rodents from over populating. I personally think they are amazing creatures, but then again I think most critters are amazing!

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow, that is a lot of eggs in one night, now I want to know what it is!! You must let us know.. maybe a baby cam or one of those night cameras that take pictures with a card you insert in your computer?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I would almost bet it is more than one animal. The word is out there is a buffet at your house. Do you have wild hogs there? They will eat eggs too, a lot of people forget about them. Raccoons, oppossums, coyotes, foxes, feral dogs, stray dogs, any of those will eat chickens and eggs.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
No wild hogs near home:there is a fox living across the road...but Our chicken coop is right off the back yard and the turkey pen is on the other corner both being under the watchful eyes of three big dogs lol..I think some one fell a sleep lol..
Snakes have been bad this year...I have lived here for 8 years and saw only a few last year...this year we see them all over. my 7 year old was climbing a tree and felt something funny..looked down and he had his hand on a snake that was tucked in a knot hole lol...thought he was going to fall out of the tree!! A friend who raises all kinds of birds is having the same issue..she found one snake in her Peacock pen..ate two eggs already and was working on the third...she was not happy at all....we did move the broody turkey hen and her eggs and haven't seen any more disappearing..but still struggling with chicken eggs..we put gulf balls in the nest..collect a few times a day instead of once and finally we are bringing in 17-18 eggs....still not nearly enough for the amount of chickens we have...but better than none at all : ) I will be looking for signs of other creatures like skunks and fox..racoons..just in case...
there has got to be some kindof sign who the robber is...
maybe a baby cam or one of those night cameras that take pictures with a card you insert in your computer?
I dont have a camera...but that would be cool to see him in action..if I do find out for sure who the egg stealer is, I will def. Share it here :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, I've seen a lot more bull snakes this year than I've seen in the last 10 years combined. No idea why, though. I just chalked it up to going along with a whacked out summer all the way around. :rolleyes:

·
I'm watching you
22,373 Posts
We don't have many large snakes where I live now. So, we have a plague of rodents this year instead. There are so many voles you can hear them grazing on the lawn and the rats are going through poison like it is candy. I have seen many more birds of prey however so, hopefully they are helping.
I'm only getting 2 eggs a day from 18 hens...Unfortunately I can't blame it on snakes, just rats.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
I agree...weather has been so crazy here in Texas..wet,dry windy cool hot...and that was just this week lol (ouch...old joke lol)

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
Thanks Jill..I would have to say the snake is the only thing on there except we have seen broken shells in the same area as snake skins of different sizes..thereis never any signs in the coops..no dead hens..no egg shells or mess..maybe we are dealing with more than one egg stealer?? My son said he read there are times when a snake will leave the shells...he is going to find me that info..

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
Is that what a snake left behind?

Oh and now my son wants a snoat lol

·
I'm watching you
22,373 Posts
Thanks, I miss her a lot with her little busyness. I may have another coming in though, I was smelling a little funk in the back 5 acre pasture a couple days ago. The original had 4 or 5 litters here. If I spot one, I'm going to chicken screen the 2 sides I can get to of my less then sharing neighbor's fence. I did plant the water Cress and leaf lettuce that I normally do for the little munchers and the black berries are ripe.

Now, why am I still on here when I'm pulling out early tomorrow? Hmm...

Cathy, maybe the snakes are spitting up the shells and then something else is chewing on them? That's still a lot of eggs at once thpugh.

·
Registered
31,045 Posts
Thanks Jill....It is alot of eggs...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'd rather have snakes, than rats. Just was concern about size, and if they could strangle my pugs, or baby goats.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts