Bullied Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by GCKRanch, Jan 19, 2016.

1. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    Our flock usually gets along pretty well. We had issues with the roosters killing hens, but we got rid of those a while ago. We just noticed this poor little hen hanging out away from the others missing half her feathers. Should I remove her and send her home with my mother (she has 2 ducks and a chicken in her backyard)? or is there something else I can do?

Attached Files:

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Two thoughts come to mind - she could be molting or she has lice. See if indeed others are picking on her. I wouldn't move her......

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. MylieD

MylieD Active Member

Sep 16, 2013
    middle GA
    Yeah, looks like molting to me too. When mine have fought, like when I added new chickens, they usually go for the comb. So I'd see bloody combs and maybe a couple feathers pulled out, nothing like that.

5. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    I thought it might be molting, but she's the only one that looks like this. I always thought that when one molted they all would.

6. MylieD

MylieD Active Member

Sep 16, 2013
    middle GA
    Nah, mine have taken turns. Sometimes they'll molt one right after another, sometimes just one will have a crazy hairdo.

7. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    Looks like molting to me, too. Chickens fighting will rip out the feathers on the back of the head, and roosters can wear the feathers off the hens' backs - that's all I've ever seen in our flock.
    Just a guess here, but a very timid hen may not be getting as much food as the others and could be malnourished.