The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Years ago I bought an extremely nice, well bred Nigerian buck to breed to my standards for minis. His kids were so awesome that I bought several Nigerian does for him. 2 of those I got from his original breeder, who is well known in the area for her quality animals. In fact, even at 8 years of age, I have been offered a lot of money for my buck.

Anyway, these 2 does are show quality, just all round beautiful girls, and a perfect match for my buck. I bred them last fall. The red bay kidded on Friday morning with triplets. Even at birth, the kids looked beautiful and show material.

That was until I got a good look at their teats. The 2 doelings have 4 teats, and the buck has 3. I am devastated. I had such plans for her kids.

Yesterday I checked out moms udder, since I was in shock about the "extras". I have not seen any "extras" sired by my buck, so it had to have come from the doe, or a recessive gene from both sides. Yeah, there, plain as day in the bright sunlight on a now full udder were 2 extra teats. Small and non-functioning, but there.

I texted the breeder to let her know what I had found. She was surprised and sympathetic. She is refunding me the money I paid for the doe, but man, all my plans are destroyed now. This doe was going to be one of 2 extremely well bred foundation does for my Nigerian herd.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Oh no! I am so sorry. Although multiple teats are acceptable in boers, we were duped with our first buck when we didn’t know any better. His teats looked like an octopus on both sides, so I can relate on that disappointment!

I’m glad she’s doing the responsible thing and refunding your money. You still have one doe left to kid, right? Are her teats correct? I’m hoping you at least get some gorgeous doelings from her to make your situation a little brighter.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, still have that one doe, not sure she is bred. What really sucks is those triplets are gorgeous except for the teats. The buckling will be wethered and all 3 sold as pets- no registration papers. Not sure what I will do with the doe. She is a beauty, so I guess I'll keep her and just look at her. LOL

I do have 4 other Nigerian does bred to that buck, plus another from that same breeder. I have a new Nubian buck that is siring some exceptional kids this year, too. For a first year buck, he is siring mostly doelings. I am up to my arm pits in goat kids.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Sometimes nature puts a boulder in our way and we need to find a way to the other side? All that time and money you spent was not for nought. Her youngens are destined for different things. You never know. Keep your chin up and remain positive.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Glad the seller is refunding you your money. I always check teats before an animal leaves my property. I find it a little odd how she didnt suspect that something like that would have happened because it would have had to run in the line.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
Oh..bummer indeed..but at least those beautiful little angels will make nice pets for someone. Dont give up. Next year is another year to try again.
Glad you are getting your money back.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The breeder is an awesome lady. I wish she was still breeding goats, but had to sell her herd due to health issues.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 10 of 10 Posts