The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased two bottle babies and noticed today that one has a bump near middle of her ear, underside, and hair loss on the opposite side of same ear. I don't suspect an abscess or infection because it doesn't seem painful, but wondering if she possibly tore her ear prior to coming home with us. Would a torn ear "heal" like a bump? Or do you think i should treat with ointment for possible bacterial infection or sore? Thanks! Btw, I hope I'm posting this right, haven't been on in a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in the barn for just enough to feed...at doctor now, not feeling good at all. I will get a picture hopefully tonight at feed time. I did put some antibiotic cream on it this morning just for safe keeping. I'll get the picture soon promise

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Went to doctor today... bad case of bronchitis BUT that doesn't mean I can stop being mom, wife, teacher and Goat Mom... lol. I was finally able to get a few decent pictures tonight of Sally's war. Let me know what you guys think.
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The top picture is the top side of ear, the bottom pic is the underneath. The top is pretty flat, the bottom is like a bump.... probably about the size of a dime. Like I said in the earlier post, it doesn’t seem to be causing her any pain.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is it hot to the touch? Does it feel hard like scar tissue or softer like it could be lanced? It could just be a keloid scar from some trauma she had on that ear.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it hot to the touch? Does it feel hard like scar tissue or softer like it could be lanced? It could just be a keloid scar from some trauma she had on that ear.

Hope you feel better soon!
It's not hot the touch... it does feel like it is a scar from something. Definitely not soft or like I need to lance to drain it. I put ointment back on it tonight and tomorrow I'll probably apply NuStock for hair regrowth in the area. Thanks for the help! And thanks! I REALLY do hope I feel better, this crap is for the birds! Lol steroids are going to keep me wired for sure! Lol

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Is there a scab there on the inside of the ear?
If so, and there is a hole under it, after removing the scab, try to squeeze it and see if you can get anything out of it.
If you do, then flush it with a light tea color iodine/water solution.
If not, it may be scar tissue forming.
And just let it be.

If it stays the same and doesn't get bigger it is scar tissue. If it gets bigger, it is an abscess.

Glad you went to the doctor and hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a scab there on the inside of the ear?
If so, and there is a hole under it, after removing the scab, try to squeeze it and see if you can get anything out of it.
If you do, then flush it with a light tea color iodine/water solution.
If not, it may be scar tissue forming.
And just let it be.

If it stays the same and doesn't get bigger it is scar tissue. If it gets bigger, it is an abscess.

Glad you went to the doctor and hope you feel better soon.
It is hard and I believe just scar tissue... just putting NuStock on it now. thanks for the help! FINALLY feeling a little better! Got ALOT to catch up on today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts