The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post a pic soon.
So here's the thing: our best milker has a bump on one of her teats. It's not hard, but it's not squishy either. Her milk is normal, no blood or strings or anything, udder doesn't feel hotter than normal, but she is a little sensitive about me touching it. And while I'm milking she will sometimes hold her leg up on that side, like maybe it hurts. We always try to be gentle when milking, and without other symptoms it doesn't really seem like mastitis, but I don't know.
One time a few years ago, she had a bump on the same teat, but she wasn't at all sensitive about that one. It was there for a long time, but eventually went away.:shrug:What do you think?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I just milked her and forgot the camera, and it's harder to see the bump when she's not full, so I gues I will take a pic tomorrow. I fet it again, and it feels almost like there's a clump of something in there, but it doesn't move or anything. I wondered if it could be a milk vein that's swollen?
Oh, and I used one of those mastitis checking cards, and it was completely normal.
I should mention, we've been in the process of switching to once a day milking, letting her go a little longer each time until she can go all day (we were milking twice) and she's usually really full by the time we milk, I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really tell. At first I thought it was on the outside, but when I felt it again, it seemed more like maybe it was sort of in between,like in the skin? I wonder how you could tell?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
If it's on the inside, it could be very mild cystic mastitis. I'd start giving her vitamin C.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Chewable vitamin c tabs go over really well here with my goats... I use the 500mg orange flavored ones during times of stress due to weather etc, any changes that can compromise the immune system, Vit C gives a boost to immunity :) I usually give each 2-3 tabs a day as a treat when needed.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't managed to get the chewable C's yet; frankly I'd forgotten about the bump for a while- it seems to have gotten a little smaller, but it's still there, and doesn't seem to bother her. I was wondering if I could give her non-chewable vitamin C tablets crushed into her food? We have some of those on hand.

·
Registered
29,906 Posts
yes you can give the non chewable..you can add water to it crushed and drench it to be sure she gets it..: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts