The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my does udder yesterday (I don't do it so often, it had for sure been a week and a half or so since I did it last, if not more), and I noticed a bump with a whitish dot in the middle. I thought it was a blocked teat, but I have been milking her a lot, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, might even be getting worse. She kidded about 5 weeks ago, had a fairly simple birth, and had quads. The littlest didn't make it tho :(. She now has 3 nursing kids, and I thought she was doing fine. After I looked closer at the udder I noticed there were more hard brownish bumps, but they seem different than the one I had originally seen. Does anyone know what these are, or how to treat? Thanks! Plant Tree Wood Trunk Fawn

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
62,390 Posts
Hibiclens at Walmart or a pharmacy is chlorhexidine. Don't dilute it. Wash udder then put on Hibiclens twice a day. Don't put hibiclens on teats, then the kids can nurse. Staph can become extremely serious if not treated.

·
Administrator
90,510 Posts
I do dilute it 10-2 -water to chloroxidine ratio. It is way too strong if it hasn’t been diluted.
I put it in a spray bottle shake it, then spray it directly on the udder and teats.
It has never hurt the kids and heals staph and sores created by the kids teeth. I try to make sure the kids have already nursed or in between the kids nursing. Sometimes they jump on just after so I will re-spray her if it is on the teat area. It dries and heals really quick.

·
Super Moderator
62,390 Posts
The Hibiclens is different than buying straight chlorhexidine. It is a wash you use directly on your body. Many hospitals give it to you to use as your soap before surgery. So with Hibiclens, you put it on and let it dry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Moonlight (my doe) is looking much better! Not gone yet, but getting there. My other doe and two babies also got it, but I caught it early and started treating already.

Quick question: Does staph transfer to humans?
Also, can I drink milk from a doe with a staph infection?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts