The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
It could be she got poked by something, it is an abscess and looks like it is getting ready to burst. Is the center soft? If so, I would lance it (wear gloves), collect a sample of the pus and send in to be tested for CL. It is in a spot that CL can be in. If you do lance it, make sure you do not let any of the pus get on you or the ground, clean it well with iodine and then clean it every day after that until it heals. I would keep her separated so none of your other goats come in to contact with the pus.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
looks like Cl..:( I would have a vet take care of it so its not done on property...then flush it 3-4 times a day with iodine until the wallof the cyct is thin and can heal...if you dont do this it will close up, tapping some of the bacteria in it and can come back..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Vets prices will vary by area. I would call a few in the morning and tell them what you need. :(

Btw, I have a 50% boer doeling that was born last week that I believe is going to be polled. Ill let ya know when I figure it out. ;)

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Ive been down this road..loads of fun..NOT! You can do it yourself, but since you never dealt with CL it is best to let the Vet do it...it will be well worth the cost not to have it on your property..after she heals up and no chance of drainage..then she can return to the herd..but watch for more cyst..she may never have another one..but there is always that chance she will..keep keep an eye out

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
looks like Cl..:( I would have a vet take care of it so its not done on property...then flush it 3-4 times a day with iodine until the wallof the cyct is thin and can heal...if you dont do this it will close up, tapping some of the bacteria in it and can come back..
I agree with happybleats, but would add to put her on a course of antibiotics to kill any bacteria still circulating in her system. Antibiotics won't touch the bacteria already isolated in the abcess, but will eliminate any that hasn't been isolated by the goats body. Keep her isolated until the abcess has healed completely. If she develops a 2nd abcess, cull her.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I would definitely have the pus tested. Then once you know for sure what it is, you can make your decisions.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My bad - I assumed Imthegrt1 knew testing the pus was a given, but we all know what happens when we assume. Imthegrt1, I sincerely apologize for making that assumption. :eek:

·
28 Posts
She needs to be isolated. It could rupture at any point, from the looks of it. I have a similar post right now, and have taken the same doe in two times to be tested for CL. Both times she was negative, so don't give up yet. Also, it really isn't very expensive, especially considering the health of the rest of your herd

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Make sure you wear gloves when handling it, and burn anything that comes in contact with the pus. If it ruptures, be sure to have a separate outfit to wear for your other herd. Sorry about all this stress! Hopefully it'll sort out well. :hug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts