The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Alpine doe was doing well last summer, but now we have a problem with her since August.

We do not know much about goat diseases, and we need some kind of advice or help to figure out what kind of bumps filled with pus on the goat's udder ( see a picture attached). Feels like it hurts her a lot when we milk her by hand. The problem does not go away, but it is getting worse. Is there any treatment or cure to get rid of these bumps? Please, help. Thank you.
Tanya.

Attachments

2,180 Posts
We had frostbite and razor burn both on our first batch of fresh does out of high production lines. My guess is staph, or allergic reaction to bedding.

· Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
I would also guess staph as well. Chlorhexidine will clear it up pretty quick, but do not put any ointment on the udder or anything like bag balm as all that will do is trap the bacteria against the skin and make things worse. Also, go in her shed/barn and get down on your knees. If your knees get wet the barn needs a good cleaning and dry bedding. If you clean it out, put down some hydrated lime (powdered lime, can be bought at a farm store I get mine at Ace Hardware in the garden department) this will help the ground to dry and also neutralizes ammonia. Often the bedding will look dry, but when you get down in it you may find that it is actually wet.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for your answers.
We still milk her. Can we treat her with all that mentioned above and drink the milk? We always drink it when it is raw and warm (we do not believe in refrigerators). Or we should wait a little and treat the doe when she will get dry? How about the bumps? Do we have to do with them in order to get rid of the yellow pus? Any little incision with the sharp blade to rupture some of them?

· Registered
340 Posts
I'm not sure if I would be drinking milk from a goat with a staph infection, you might get the bacteria in your mouth and get a infection yourself.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong about this but it just doesn't sound safe to me. :-?

· Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm not sure if I would be drinking milk from a goat with a staph infection, you might get the bacteria in your mouth and get a infection yourself.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong about this but it just doesn't sound safe to me. :-?
I'm with you. Staph infection is nothing to play around with

· Super Moderator
64,490 Posts
That is a bad case of staph. I would be treating that ASAP. I would also not be drinking her milk or even feeding it to other animals.

I would start cleaning her udder and putting the chlorhexidine on twice a day. You really don't want this going into her udder and becoming gangrene.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.