The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week or so ago we noticed a bump on our 6 month old buck's scrotum. Couldn't figure out what it might be so put some NuStock on it over the last week. A couple of days ago we noticed a second, smaller one on the side of the scrotum, and then today what looks like a third one right under his anus.

Are these warts? Anyone have experience treating them successfully? Are they contagious (to us, to the other goats)? Will it affect his fertility? So many questions...

We have an appointment with the vet this weekend but thought I'd check in on this forum too.
Primate Liver Felidae Whiskers Fawn

Water Natural material Fawn Snout Tail

Finger Thumb Nail Dog breed Snout

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check around his hind feet really good. He might be being bitten by bugs or has a fungus.
Mites from the feet travel to the scrotum. Strawberry hoof scald can also travel.
One of our other goats that's in a separate pen had foot rot that we treated about 2 months ago. Since then we've been keeping an eye on everyone's hooves like a hawk so I'm pretty sure it's not foot rot or mites because his hooves are clean. Could be fungus, though.

You don't think it's warts? Do goats even get warts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put MTG on it.
I had to look this up and Google unhelpfully told me it was "Magic The Gathering" 😂 Throwing in a few more keywords sorted out the confusion though.

Before treatment remove the scab so it gets directly to the source.
It doesn't look loose right now so should I wait till it's able to be pried off or does it need to be cut off? I don't honestly feel comfortable doing any cutting given my complete lack of experience. I'll probably wait till the vet's visit in 2 days and see what they recommend.

I think I'll treat as for a fungus till then and see if anything changes. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,192 Posts
I have not seen this on a scrotum. Im sorry I dont know what it is. I would appreciate you letting me know what your Vet says it is.

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
If it is mites, you would want to remove the scab, then put the stuff on to get to the source.
However, if it is a growth, it should not be cut off unless by a vet.
A vet would be best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not seen this on a scrotum. Im sorry I dont know what it is. I would appreciate you letting me know what your Vet says it is.
Vet confirmed it was a wart and actually just pulled off the part that looked like a scab so she could confirm, and then told us we didn't need to put anything on it. So that's a relief!

Thank you all for you input 🙂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts