Bumps on my does udder?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ourfarm, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ourfarm

Ourfarm New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I am pretty new to having goats, I've had them about 9 months. My doe (Nubian/Oberhasli cross) just kidded a healthy little doeling 11 days ago. I just noticed yesterday that she has these odd bumps on one side of her udder, and near the teat, and up under her leg on the same side. I milked her last year, never saw anything like this on her before.

I milked her some this morning and there is nothing odd about the milk. No other spots anywhere on her that I can find, and the baby is very healthy and has no sores anywhere either. I took some pictures this morning that I am going to attach if anyone knows what this is and/or knows what to do to help her please let me know. Thanks!

[attachment=0:3qxwenr3]small goat pic 3.jpg[/attachment:3qxwenr3]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never seen anything like that but have heard of Staph infections causing those pustules on the udder....I would trim her very close, clip her if you have a set of hair clippers, wash her well with a antibacterial solution and dry her, apply an iodine spray to help dry the pustules....wipe the teats free of the iodine since she is nursing.

3. Ourfarm

Ourfarm New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I thought about trimming her, but was afraid the clippers would snag the bumps and hurt her.

If it might be a staph infection would she need some type of an antibiotic?

I did wash her this morning with an antibacterial soap, and rinsed her so the baby wouldn't get any of the soap, I didn't think to dry her. I will get some iodine spray.

Thank you for responding.

4. Ourfarm

Ourfarm New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    So I went ahead and clipped her udder tonight, washed her again and sprayed with iodine.
    Thanks for the info, I will do this for a few days and see if I see a difference.

5. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    could be soremouth. I had a doe that got it on her udder and then it traveled to her back legs. poor girl was a mess. I treat soremouth with idodine mixed with vasoline. Doesn't really "treat" it, but it makes them heal faster. Instead of 4 weeks it's only 2-3. Keep checking the baby for signs on his lips, nose, and around his eyes.