bumps on scrotum, with hair loss on them, bug bites?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Bebop, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I just noticed these the other day on Nash. He didn't want me messing with them of course, :p but when I did, they came off with some hair. They are nowhere else, and IO doesn't seem to have them.
    Are these just bug bites? Irritation? Should I just get both dusted?

2. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I ask this with all seriousness-can goats get STDs like herpes or crabs?

3. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Yes, they can get STDs, I'm sure they can get crabs, but it would probably be in the form of fleas and lice?
    but they can get chlamydia and syphilis I know for sure

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My bucks end up with the bottom of their sacks looking like this around this time of year, they don't seem bothered by it and I do think it has something to do with rut because during the off season, they are normal looking. I've used triple antibiotic salve on them and it seems to help but it collects debris because it's sticky. Parasitic infection would be lice or mites BUT you would see other areas of the body infected before you saw the testes get infested.
    Chlamydia, yes...syphylis no. Chlamydia infection will cause abortions in does.

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    yeah, I've seen it too -- sometimes a waxy thickening along the bottom of the scrotum. You could wash it betadine solution or use an antifungal treatment.....

6. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Yup, Parsley is doing the same thing. I put some bag balm on it and he acts like I am molesting him and he is horrified and humiliated but it seems to help. Not sure if it is bug bites or rut related but it seems to bother me a LOT more than it bothers him.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It gets worse the longer the rut lasts! Looks awful too but I agree with you WarPony, it seems to bother me more than them!
    Also, my boys have a bench inside their barn to jump up on, they seem to whack their business on the edge of the plywood quite often and that seems to make it look worse.