Bumpy Teats & Off-Colored Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Farmer Gab, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Sweet Pea is our herd queen and she is a three years old Nubian. When she kidded in mid-July, I had to go in and get the kids out because they were presenting wrong and not delivering on their own. So, we followed with a week of antibiotics and then 30 day of nursing her kids to get the meds out of her system. Today I milked her and noticed two things. Her teats have bumps all over them. The bumps are like blow-outs, not like sores. Also, her milk is light tan. Gag! Any thoughts? Does she need to still get the meds out of her system? What are the bumps? I threw out the milk cause I have NO idea what is going on.....

THANKS!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get some mastitis test strips and see if she has mastisis.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Stacey.....that will let you know for sure... :hug:

4. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    So, where do I get the supplies to test for it?

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try you local feed store -- what they have for cows will work

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Could you post a picture of the bumps?

7. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Wait....wouldn't the antibiotics have eliminated any mastitis?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The odd color does indicate a form of mastitis, sometimes ecoli will cause the milk to be tan in color. A mastitis test would be beneficial to her and it can help you to know what type of treatment she may need. Since it has been 30 days since she has had the antibiotic you will likely need to start her on injections again as well as infuse her udder with Today to clear her up.

The bumps you mention are not open sores? Are they feeling or look like pustules or are they more like a wart? Are they on the teats or on the whole udder? If on the teats and are not sores, just bumps...these could be superficial teats that are not used and do not have orifices or mammary glands behind them.

9. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Not sores. Just bumps. Teats only. I will try to get a photo, but we are about to get dumped on by rain......

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

definatly test for mastits. What kind of antibiotics did you use? not all antibiotics will treat mastitis. The bumps sound to me like a staph infection.
    beth

11. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Do you have gnats? Mine had bumpy teats when the gnats were biting.

Ditto on mastitis testing.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    One of my goats had udder warts when I first got her. It is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. I put her on two tablespoons of dolomite twice a day and they dried up and fell off. It took a couple of weeks till they were all gone.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    crosscreek -- how did you figure out that specific deficiency? THats real interesting

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Hmm very interesting, i have heard of selinium defficiancy being realted to warts but neer magnesium. Out of curisoty what color is your doe? Udder pox and udder warts are more commen on does with little to no pigmintation in their udder (most commen breed its seen in is saanens).
    beth

15. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    "Out of curisoty what color is your doe?"

She is the one in my avatar.

16. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Just wanted to comment that I am currently reading the book you mentioned and finding that it contains a lot of useful information.

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Hmm interesting, she is a light colored doe, with not a lot of pigmentation to her udder im guessing?
    You would know if it was udder warts, udder warts are very nasty looking raised up bemps, that start looking almost like boils. Often the have other bumps growing off of them
    http://www.saanendoah.com/udderwarts.html
    heres a good link on them
    I did a bit of reading, the only type of mastitis that i could find that discribed a tan or brown color in the milk was e coli, but there are usually other signs that go along with it, watery scours, rapid weight loss and high fever.
    Goat pox (most commenly seen on the udder) start as bups and then start to burst, opening to small scabs which usually ooze a clear fluid. Milking can be painful and the milk should be discarded.
    heres the website i found the info on
    http://www.goatwisdom.com/udder_care.html

I didnt find much on a staph infection excpet that there is no known cure for it.
    Personaly i would get her on ten days of penicillian, infuse her udder with tomorrow, three days in a row twenty four hours apart. I would also take a little bit of the tomorrow and rub it on the sores on her udder, after cleaning it. Give her as much vit c as you can get down her. This is what i have done of mastitis and it always seems to work.
    Even if youre not one hundred percent sure its mastitis, something is wrong if she is giving you tan colored milk.

18. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Okay....we finally got a photo....AND, I took a sterile syringe and "popped" one of the bumps. Lots of milk came squirting out followed by a little blood and then done. When we milk her we get blood in her milk. I THINK the blood is coming from these bumps. I have heard that these are called "blow outs"..... What do you all think?

19. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Oh, and my feed store doesn't carry mastitis tests :GAAH: ....BUT, I really don't think this is mastitis....If you think I am wrong, let me know and I will have to order the test.....