The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use one of these on my bucklings other then banding, but at the cost of a new one the DH says no way - keep banding. So if anybody has one they no longer use, please let me know what you want for it including shipping to 54864. Thanks !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks goatnutty, but thats too high of a price for the DH if we can just band them for so much less. I may check ebay though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh - thanks goatnutty !!! Do you happen to have a link to them ? I never got a chance to look yet. Awsome ! Thanks !

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I have never used the burdizzo, how hard do you have to squeeze to crush the chords. It seems like you would have to be a powerful person and how do you know if you do it right. At least with the bands i know i have everything. And the tool is so much cheaper....
beth

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I have a brother and a dad :D LOL

But seriously, it takes a minimum of two people(we do three because boer kids are so huge) one to hold and one to crush. I don't know how much hand strength it would take, but if your husband is strong enough I'm sure he could do it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DH doesn't want to pay much for one, so i've got to get a used one/cheap one, or continue banding. I don't mind banding and am comfortable with doing it. What i don't like is how long it takes to fall off - i'm a worry wort and even though my mind tells me it is "normal" i always worry that an infection or something bad is brewing :?

Looks like we might just stick with it for now though, as we don't want to miss anything, because we are selling a snubian weather for a pet, and my buckling ( from the alpine twins ) is going to be a wether so he can be my new buck's buddy - DH delivered him all by himself and wants to keep him - i won't argue, i want him to get into the goats more anyways !

i've never done it, but would like to, however i have a lot going on this year, so maybe it will be better to wait till next year to switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts