Burdizzo or simular wanted ...

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    I would like to use one of these on my bucklings other then banding, but at the cost of a new one the DH says no way - keep banding. So if anybody has one they no longer use, please let me know what you want for it including shipping to 54864. Thanks !

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't have one and have never used one but you can get one for $59.85 +$11.75 S&H through HOEGGERS.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Thanks goatnutty, but thats too high of a price for the DH if we can just band them for so much less. I may check ebay though.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Good idea!I can save you some time and check myself since I'm so bored :p .

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I just checked and there's a whole page of them for like $16+ S&H $12.95.

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    Oh - thanks goatnutty !!! Do you happen to have a link to them ? I never got a chance to look yet. Awsome ! Thanks !

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't have the link but just go to the homepage and type in Burdizzo and they will come up.There is like ten of them but some have expired.

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    NO problem.I'm wiling to help any time possible :thumbup: !!!!!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never used the burdizzo, how hard do you have to squeeze to crush the chords. It seems like you would have to be a powerful person and how do you know if you do it right. At least with the bands i know i have everything. And the tool is so much cheaper....
    beth

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I band but I believe goathappy does the burrdizo method.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have a brother and a dad :D LOL

But seriously, it takes a minimum of two people(we do three because boer kids are so huge) one to hold and one to crush. I don't know how much hand strength it would take, but if your husband is strong enough I'm sure he could do it.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

that would be great if i had a husband! Lol im pretty much a one girl operation here.
    one reason i like banding, i have to be able to do pretty much everything myself.
    beth

13. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northwest WI
    DH doesn't want to pay much for one, so i've got to get a used one/cheap one, or continue banding. I don't mind banding and am comfortable with doing it. What i don't like is how long it takes to fall off - i'm a worry wort and even though my mind tells me it is "normal" i always worry that an infection or something bad is brewing :?

Looks like we might just stick with it for now though, as we don't want to miss anything, because we are selling a snubian weather for a pet, and my buckling ( from the alpine twins ) is going to be a wether so he can be my new buck's buddy - DH delivered him all by himself and wants to keep him - i won't argue, i want him to get into the goats more anyways !

i've never done it, but would like to, however i have a lot going on this year, so maybe it will be better to wait till next year to switch.