Burdizzo verses Banding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frozenloc2, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi Everybody,

I band my little bucklings at about 4 weeks old but I was wondering if anybody uses or has used the Burdizzo? Apparently there is no risk of infection or tetanus. Is this the best way to go or is it very painfull? Whats all your thoughts on it? With banding there is a limit to size but is there when it comes to the Burdizzo? Stick with the banding you say?

Andrea

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use the banding method because it is what I personally can do.

Wether or not it is less painful is not known to me because I can't feel the goaties pain.

Yes you can use teh Burdizzo at just about any age.

The risks with the Burdizzo are that sometimes the cord is not crush properly on one cord and you have a half buck that is fertile. So you can't put him in with a doe until you know the process was successful - not sure the time table on it (ie, how long it takes to shrival up)

My personal oppion is that both methods are effective and have their pros and cons and it depends on what is your preference and your ability.

goathappy uses the burdizzo and should be able to give you some specifics on its use.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use the burdizzo and it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the scrotum to shrink, it will swell after doing it, and after that it shrinks down. Of the 40 some kids we've castrated with it, only 3 came back as half bucks(we call them 50 cent pieces) and those were from when we first started castrating and didn't quite know how to use it properly. We castrate them at 6-7 weeks, and hold 7 seconds on each side, counting one thousand and one, etc etc.... They hobble around for about 10 minutes and then they are fine.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    How do you know when they are a 50 cent piece? Cause it won't shribble up? Do they become stand offish when you use the burdizzo? Everytime I band a buckling, he avoids for me a few days. I actualy had one that I banded at 6 weeks and he was the nicest but after that, it took him two weeks to forgive me. He made me feel really bad :(

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Fozenloc2 I just noticed you are you Maryland. I live in southern NJ and was curious how close we are

6. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    Stacey

I am in Northern Harford County. Take me about 15 minutes to get to I95. I'm not sure how far I really am from the Jersey turnpike once on 95. Maybe a hour??? Are we close? Would you like to come disbud my baby goats? LOL

Andrea

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've noticed that with the half bucks, if one side is going to be fertile that that side will not swell up after castrating like the other side will. Also, about 2 weeks after castrating, the scrotum should start to shrink, with half bucks it just stays the same size.

I've noticed that after we castrate, they hate us for about 10 minutes, we give them grain then they are good with us again :D

9. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    Ok I have a question after reading this. If you a get a 50 piece buck, do you band the remained testicle to fix the problem or do you use the Burrdizzo again. Just wondering? FrozenLoc2 I have a friend that lives close to you I think. I am two and half hours away. My friend lives about 30 away from Ellicott City. The name of her town is escaping me right now.

10. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    Anna

Ellicot City is about 40 mintues from me, your about right. Your about a hour or so away from me.

Andrea

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no you can re burdizzo the one side that didn't take.

12. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks Stacey. I was just wondering. In case I ever decide to do the Burrdizzo method. We banded our current wethers and it worked fine.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah it is something in the future I may learn but for now I will stick with banding for myself