Burdizzo wethering

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NDinKY, Jun 27, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I was out in my buckling pen today and had two brothers side by side so I took this picture to show what a successful burdizzo castration looks like.

52455A97-E9B2-4523-9495-9FC09E5AEE6E.jpeg

The white one (on the left) was wethered about 3 weeks ago. You can see the difference in their testicles, with the wethered one having his harden and shrink up. They’ll continue to shrink up, but will not totally disappear.

One of the big cons cited for this method is that you can’t be sure it took. At only 3 weeks out, I think it’s pretty obvious who was castrated and who wasn’t. Pros for this method include being very quick (5 seconds a side), no open wounds so no worries about fly strike/tetanus, quick recovery (walking normal the next day), and it is inexpensive with just the cost of the tool.

We’ve been happy with this method and haven’t had complaints from buyers or had to redo anyone. Just wanted to share in case anyone else was interested in this method of wethering.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad that it works for you.

3. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Great picture! Have you ever done an adult buck? I bought a burdizzo to castrate my 3 year old buck, but I haven't had the time or the nerve to try it yet. In the meantime I'm wondering if I should just band him with one of those California banders instead. I want to make really sure the job is done, and I don't know how much shrinkage to expect on an adult buck!

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve not done an adult buck, only kids. I have read that it is effective but I can’t imaging holding down an adult buck to get him done. We have a buck, who if he doesn’t sell we may wether, but I’m pretty sure we’ll be enlisting the help of our vet for surgical wethering. He’s just too strong.

The tool we have might not fit an adult buck well. It’s the side crusher for lambs and kids. Easy to use, might be too small for an adult buck.

goatblessings likes this.
  5. KirDay

KirDay Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Beaverton

We tried to burdizzo an adult lamancha and the vas deferens is just too wide and thick. Kept rolling out when we clamped. Ended up just torturing the poor guy, went and got a cattle band that worked fine.

If you burdizzo them before 3 months you will have no trouble at all.

Calistar likes this.
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't band kids, only burdizzo for me. Never had a problem with it not taking. I think an adult would require a different method than burdizzo.

SalteyLove likes this.
  7. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I paid to have 6 bucklings castrated by Burdizzo about 12 weeks of age this year - I could not have been happier with it! Definitely effective and, for me, since my goats are free ranging and the kids are fairly wild, not watching for banding infections or complications was so great!

10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Saltey, it is super easy to do yourself. The tool we got was about $100. I hold the goat on their back with each front leg crossed with the corresponding back leg while my husband does the crushing. It’s over so quick. We haven’t had any complications either.

SalteyLove likes this.