The Goat Spot Forum banner

Burnt goat kid

14K views 126 replies 27 participants last post by  Oreosmom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm in desperate need of some advice!

Two weeks ago I took in a very young baby goat that was found by some campers. She appeared to be orphaned, no other goats where nearby and she wouldn't leave the campsite.

She was in pretty bad shape, underweight and dehydrated, I wasn't sure she was going to make it through the night. I feed her small amounts of goat milk replacement and the morning after she looked better, except now she was limping bad. She wouldn't put any weight on her fwd right hoof. I noticed what I thought was a cut at the hairline on that hoof, and I also saw that she was missing one of the digits on that foot. I kept it clean and dry but no matter what I did it just looked worse every day.

After I few days similar cracks was showing up on her other hooves too. I had absolutely no idea what was attacking her feet, and no one I talked to had heard about anything like it either. I got her on antibiotics and gave her baby aspirin for the pain.

4 days after I took her in I came across pictures of fire injured sheep on Internet and that's when I realized what had happened. I contacted the campers that had found her and they confirmed that she had been very attracted by their campfire. At one point she stood so close that an ember landed in her fur, they had to put it out with water. When the campers went inside the cabin for the night the baby goat was still out there and the fireplace was still glowing. At some point during the night she must have jumped up into the firepit. She is all black, that's why it didn't show at first.

I took her to the vet and he gave her topical antibiotics for her feet and Metacam for fever and pain. Besides that it was nothing he could really do. He told me to trim off some for the hoof once it got even looser, and told me to wrap her foot once she lost the hoof cap.

That's where we are at today. I've trimmed off most of one toe on the worst foot, the other toe is not far behind. I THINK she might be able to keep her other feet, but they are all injured by the fire. They have cracks in them along the coronial line at the heel.

Im keeping her worst foot wrapped up and well padded, and I'm also treating several burns on other places on her legs.

Does anyone have experience with lost hoof caps? Burn injuries? How long does it take for a hoof to grow back out? Will they grow out when injured by fire..?

This is my first goat and I can use some good advice and pointers!!

She was only 4 pounds when I got her, she's at 5.2 now. I feed her 4 times a day, about 5 ounces at the time. Does that sound about right? She is alert, active (without walking) and pooping and peeing good. She still has her umbilical cord and I'm estimating her to be 2.5 weeks old.

As soon as she's a little bit better and can move back to the barn I will get her some friends. For now I keep her inside the house.

I'll try to attach some pictures. More pics can be found on Instagram: Janice_the_kid

Have a great night and thank you in advance!!!
Helena and Janice

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Aw, poor baby. It sounds like you are doing everything right. As long as she is eating well, doesn't have diarrhea or running a fever, she should continue to improve. You want her tummy firm but not hard and not sunk in. She should be able to get around pretty well after all the burns heal.

Infection is your biggest challenge with burnt areas. You might also want to give her a tetanus anti toxin shot to provide short term immunity.

#6 ·
I could be way off base here but, there it something very "off" looking about that "goat" .
Are you absolutely certain she isn't a hair sheep? We can still help you but, the care is very different. Goat formula will build too much copper in a lamb's system for example.
What does her tail look like?

#8 ·
She looks like a lamb to me too...a hair sheep breed. Poor gal..glad shes in good care now...but if shes a lamb..she need sheep replacer not goats...

#10 ·
Yikes! Thanks so much for helping out this poor cutie.

If you think she is 2-3 weeks old, I would begin offering good quality hay and a some pelleted feed, as well as a bucket of plain water. However - you said her dried umbilical his still attached? I believe she is much younger if so.

Does she ever stand, walk, prance and bounce and play like a normal kid/lamb? Or she never even attempts to get on her feet? Does she get on her knees?

#12 ·
OMG......... You guys think she's not even a goat?? :shocked: How do I know for sure? (Told you I was new with goats!!! And sheep for that matter... ;) )

Here in Hawaii there are plenty of feral goats, and other goats were seen in the area where she was found. I just assumed she was a goat. I'll try to upload more pics!!

I know for sure she's close to three weeks since I've had her for two weeks. She hasn't been moving around much though, I'm thinking maybe that's why the umbilical cord is still there. But that's just a guess.

Yesterday she finally started to walk again. Even tried to bounce around a little bit! She will take a few steps and then go back down on her front knees again to paus and then up again. Warms my heart!!

So possibly a tetanus shot? The veterinarian we saw said I should wait until she's a little bit older but I'm terrified of infections. I'm keeping her inside, dry and clean, and I'm checking her temperature at least daily.

Thank you all for advice and encouragement! :)

#22 ·
Following! She sure is cute! I think goat. Maybe some sort of Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy mix? Looks like a smaller breed to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.