The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been taking my goats down along my creek to browse for about an hour each day. They have a wonderful time and I take my Kindle and read while they browse. They've been eating these bushes that now have bright red berries on them. When I saw the berries I immediately took them back up to the barn and Googled choke cherries. The pictures look just like these but it's not a tree but a bush and no way will grow to be a tree. I live in central Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if this is something else? I've tried and tried to find out what this could be if it's not a cherry tree. I'll try to get pictures of them today if I get a chance.

In the mean time, I'm not taking them near those bushes. I'm so paranoid about them eating something poisonous. Oh, and they have had no ill effects at all from eating them, not any sign what-so-ever.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Okay, looking at these it might be best to take a branch to your extension service. I'm finding 2 species and one specie is a cherry with the cyanide leaves, the other specie is the Aronia. Best safe then sorry until you can identify them for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, looking at these it might be best to take a branch to your extension service. I'm finding 2 species and one specie is a cherry with the cyanide leaves, the other specie is the Aronia. Best safe then sorry until you can identify them for sure.
Thanks goathiker. I think that's probably the best plan. We have tons of this stuff along the creek and if it's safe they'll be having a field day with it, but if it's not, then I guess the creek is off limits to us.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally identified the shrub with the bright red berries. It's honeysuckle. My goats absolutely LOVE it and from all the research I've done, they will be happy to know they can eat it. What a relief!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Awesome. It's kinda hard to identify a bush you can't see...Glad you figured it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts