Business Plan help anyone?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MissMM, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I'm looking to expand my goat business but need to do some 'creative financing' to do so involving grants and small business loan. Both require a business plan. Does anybody have a sample business plan they would be willing to share with me - or tips/tricks as to what to include and what to leave out?

I've been checking into this business plan thing and it looks very daunting. I'm a social worker, not a business-minded person :?

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I've successfully written and been awarded grant proposals! Grant proposal = glorified business plan ;)

1st of all, make sure your title page grabs the attention of the financier. Most of them will read the front page intently then thumb through the rent until the numbers come into play (usually towards the end). Just tell them who you are, your experience with goats and/or the business you propose to run with the goats, and a mission statement that paints the impression of either 1. profit, or 2. (if you are filing as a non-profit) appealing to the masses to earn donations.

Next, be very descriptive with where the money will go, and show examples. Like..if you say the money will go to building a barn. Don't put Barn: $20,000...Put an itemized list showing in depth research and knowledge.
    Cement - $500
    Wood - $7,000
    Hinges, Bolts, Screws - $200
    ...And so on. Be specific.

Make sure to include a resume for yourself, tailor your description to show your interests and skills in what it is you want funded. But include all work and educational experience.

Draft some accounting statements. This is - for some - the most daunting aspect. For others - the easiest. Especially if you already keep statements. Include expenses, profits, losses, stuff you predicted and budgeted for (like feed) and stuff that came up but you made room for (like emergency vet bills).

Above all, pay attention to your audience. Is it a grant? What do they want done with the money? How can you reassure them those things will get done if you are awarded the money? Or is it a loan? Well, clearly they want to see that profit is obtainable so they will be repaid!

Good luck, I know it's a lot, just take it one step at a time!

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thank you very much for the tips. It is a very daunting process. I'm trying to buy the "family farm" from the in-laws, but my earning from full-time job would never qualify me for a mortgage, so - I'm trying to pay for part of it w/a grant in the "arts" area and the rest w/a small business loan.