busy, busy, but still time for goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bluecollar, Feb 29, 2008.

1. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    It has been a long week, we drove over 1300 miles doing repair work this week. While on the road this morning I got a phone call from an old friend and neighbor who raises boer goats. Unfortunately, one of his females had got caught in a fence and broke her neck. She left two babies that were about 3 weeks old. My friend has been bottle feeding them but could not keep them at his home in town. He offered to sell them to me for $25 each. They are unregistered, full blood female boers. I picked them up when I got home this evening.

My nigerian dwarfs still don't know what to think about them but they all seem to be getting along.

The boers are 1 month old and are as big as my 3 month old nigis. I know it wont be many days until they are bigger (much bigger) than my dwarfs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I know the feeling.Life always gets hectic during kidding season especially :hair: .I took this year off and I will hopefully have babies next year.It is a good thing you took them in.I respect that people are willing to take their time to take care of bottle babies for various reasons as I don't think I could do it with school.( I would if I had to but I would be a major :coffee: all the time.)They are very cute.

3. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    It has been 12 years since I have as much as fixed a baby bottle for a human baby. And truth be known I didn't fix that many when my kids were babies.

I have the powered milk replacement, got it from the man who sold me the goats. I know how to mix it and all. My questions are:

1.) Does it matter if the bottles get cool before the baby takes them?

2.) How much care needs to be taken when washing the bottles and nipples?

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Just like with a human baby you want the milk body temp so for a goat that is 102 or just drip it on your wrist and it should feel warm is how I do it. Clean the bottles just as you would for a human baby. Scrub, scrub and scrub. Be sure to get you some cocci prevention meds to put in their bottles if the milk you are using isnt medicated and at their age I would go ahead and do it now for no less than 5 straight days. Start deworming them at 6 weeks of age and with keeping them with your 3mo nigerians they will teach them how to eat hay and pellets. Enjoy them they are beautiful.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on the babies. That was so great of you to take them in. I was so worried when I had my first bottle baby but it is amazing how it all works out.
    I used a good powder replacement with mine but I hear so many people have trouble with it. Just watch for the nasty poops. If they are the only ones you have they do make a holder that you can put the bigger bottles in and hang it and let the babies eat whenever they would like. I got mine for http://www.midstatewoolgrowers.com. They have a goat section. It is called a individual pen nurser. It sure would not be good to just do that because it will not stay warm for a real long time, but it would for like hanging for two feedings..
    Good luck and OH buy the way they are very very cute.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They are cute :thumb:

As far as bottle feeding goes, like everybody else said, about body temp, and for cleaning, I rinse the bottles out with warmish cold water, then I put soapy water in it and shake it up, then I run hot water through it.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had a bottle baby and I really disliked the milk replacers. Instead I slowly switched her to whole cows milk. She did much better on it and didn't get the runs all the time.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My babies do fine with cold milk, so I'd say it's fine if the bottle cools down before you get them to take it. JMO

9. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    Their poop is very runny. They do browse in the yard a little bit, but I cant get them to eat the regular feed (goat power). They wont eat alfalfa either but do eat bermuda hay. The previous owner said they would eat a little grain for him.

Any suggestions?

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Some people have said they have trouble with runs and milk replacer, I personally haven't, my babies had the runs on cows milk though. Every goat is different, you could try cows milk on him.

11. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    You got a steal of a deal on those two. They are just beautiful.
    Definetly start them on the Coccidia prevention 7 day routine right away. It'll probably help with their runny poop as well.
    You could sprinkle a little tiny bit of calf manna OR the replacer powder on their grain...that might get them started but at 1 month old they probably won't eat alot of grain...probably just nibble at it. UNLESS you put them with your other goats who DO eat grain agressively. At their age, they will mimic what the older goats do.
    Maybe try some whole oats or shredded beet pulp. Give' em a few Black Oil Sunflower seeds mixed in. It is a good source of selenium.
    The bermuda hay is fine. My boers do well on it. Alfalfa is not as important for meat goats as it is for dairy goats HOWEVER it does contain lots of calcium which is good for them. I feed Alfalfa pellets to my fullblood boers every day and they do well with it. But there was a time when I fed no alfalfa to my boers...and they did well then too. I have found that they make more milk for their babies since I started the ALfalfa.

We have used both milk replacer AND cows milk successfully. I just hear so many horror stories about the replacer that I will probably only use the cows milk from now on. If you have a dairy goat farm near you, you could try them for some really good goat milk.

Good luck with these two girls, as I said, you got a heck of a deal. They both look absolutely adorable.