Buyer disapears - new buyer to pick him up tomorrow

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Okay, so I require deposits on my kids, because they sell so quickly.

Little Oreo has had a deposit on him since he was a few weeks old. I kept in pretty good contact with the buyer. This same buyer also bought one of my kids earlier this year.

Well, I let her know he was ready to pick up, and everything went along smoothly. The morning of pickup she e-mailed me and told me she was coming.

She didn't show up, and I haven't heard a word since then.

That was September 24th.

I've e-mailed, called her phone (only get voicemail).

No response what so ever.

I do have to admit I am concerned something might have happened to the buyer, which makes it an even more difficult situation to work out, because I just don't know.

What should I do?

(I've since made a change to my website letting future buyers know that kids HAVE to be picked up within a certain time frame or they risk losing their deposit...)

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Kid has deposit, buyer disapears - what to do?

That is strange. I wonder if something happened to her? I would hang onto the kid a bit longer to be sure...maybe another week or two, but you can't help that she hasn't responded to your emails or phone calls. If you don't get a response soon then it is in your best interest to place him up for sale once more.

I had a similar thing happen to me last year. A lady had a $50 deposit on a kid and when she was almost ready to go, I tried contacting the lady and she never responded...still hasn't responded so i'm guessing she just backed out and didn't want to talk with me about it...maybe afraid of confrontation? :shrug: I don't know. But anyway, I ended up selling the kid to someone else and keeping the deposit. I always let the buyer know that the deposit is non refundable if they back out for any reason or do not respond when it is time to get the animal.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Oh yes, it clearly states on my website AND I always include it in the e-mail contacting potential buyers on my waiting list that the deposit is NON REFUNDABLE.

I'm just really concerned something may have happened...I don't know. I will probably hold onto the little hay burner a couple more weeks and then contact the next person on my list.

:shrug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

something may have happened and the family doesnt have time to contact you to let you know -- If she hadnt stayed in contact then I would be like she backed out but for her to say she was coming that day btu not show up...... that makes me think she will contact you again

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I have to agree with Stacey on this.
    There could have been a family emergency or something else that happened and she either cannot contact you or it is not the most important to her at this moment....give it another week or so, contact her again and if no reply then you do what you need to do.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree....give her a little time....then do what you think is best..... :hug:

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

That's what I was thinking really...I sure hope nothing has happened, she's a real nice lady and is on my waiting list for another wether kid or two...she was delighted to find someone who has TAME kids that make good pets...instead of the wild ones you find everywhere here.

8. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009

Since she is not returning calls my best guess is she has had second thoughts. The fact that she emailed instead of called leads me to believe she has communication issues. I would just be glad that the goat didn't go to someone who was second guessing their decision. I know we all worry that our babies will find the perfect loving home. Send up a prayer that your little one goes to the perfect home. My husband sold one of our Pyr pups while I was taking a nap. I knew of the man and really felt uncomfortable. Mike told me he was bringing the pup back while he went to Alaska because he didn't want it to bond with his girlfriend and have custody issues later if they broke up. I thought he just might be one of those people who was good with animals but not necessarily good with people. WELL.......he was supposed to come back on a Sunday. The following Thursday I called and asked if he was stuck in Alaska. He told me he had been back awhile. Warning bells rang in my head. I asked him to wait a few days until the last pup was gone so the remaining pup wouldn't be alone. I finally decided to call him back and be direct. I asked him if he had second thoughts, if the pup was an impulse buy. This guy started screaming and yelling at me. I told him we would finish the conversation later. I hung up and cried. I wasn't going to have one of my pups go to someone who was so abrasive. If he was like that with me I didn't trust him with a dog. I made arrangements to give him his money back through a third party. He told her he was going to sue me. My friend who took the last pup also bought this pup and the story has a happy ending. All pups went to perfect homes.

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009

When he was yelling, swearing and screaming at me he said his life was none of my business. He paid for the pup and it was his. I later learned he had two dogs before. One was killed on the highway...the other taken away from him for being at large so often. He wanted this dog just to put out as a sentry. Someone had broken into his home, robbed it and set it on fire. He woke up to a smoke filled room. He wanted a dog to alert him. I made the right decision. He didn't want a dog for a companion and friend. It would have had a miserable life.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. :hug:

This lady is really nice, she bought one of Rudy's kids earlier this year, and we communicated by e-mail the whole time until the morning of pick-up, when she gave me a call when she was nearly there. So you can see, pretty normal for it to follow the same lines.

She's even sent me e-mails from time to time since picking up "Trouble" telling me how he is.

So it's just so hard to know what's going on here :shrug:

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

That's a tough situation. But it sounds like she's not the type of person to not respond without a good reason. Hopefully she'll get ahold of you within the next few days.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

In this case, I would give her a little more time.

13. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009

I would send a certified letter and let her know how long you will hold the kid before reselling him and let her know you are concerned about her, and would appreciate knowing what's going on, even if she can't take him. At least someone would have to sign and acknowledge that they received your note...

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

The only problem with that, is I don't have her actual address.

Ah well...with the recent events, my goat keeping plans my change, and Oreo might stay forever. So if she appears in the next week or so, she can buy him, otherwise tough luck, unless she wants to pay me a boarding fee.

15. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009

Wow, I thought her deposit would be with a check. Weird. No address in the phone book? You can almost always find a person's address here using an online phone book like Dex Online.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Well you already said what I was going to say. I normally get the address of all the places my goats go so I can go check them out, BUT I can not do it all the time.

I would give more time also. I sure pray that she is OK.

I do have in a contract for the deposit, that they have 10 days to come get the goats from when I contact them to tell them they are ready to go. IF they are still at my place after that then they have to pay a $10.00 a day for boarding fee's. After 2 weeks of them still at my place I have the right to sell them.

Is there a way of map Questing them or the number?

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Like I mentioned, I added to my website terms of sale that if the kid isn't picked up within a certain time limit of their ready date, the deposit is forfeit and the kid goes back up for sale. So for future instances I will feel more comfortable if this situation comes up.

As for this, I tried to call again, and left a voicemail, AND sent an e-mail, both stating that I really hope nothing terrible has happened to warrant her disappearing like this, but if she doesn't contact me by Friday then I will not have any choice but to relist Oreo for sale, as he is a real drain on his poor old dam and I have no way to separate him right now.

We'll see what happens :shrug:

18. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Buyer disapears - sent an ultimatum email & voicemail

That sounds great!

19. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Re: Buyer disapears - sent an ultimatum email & voicemail

I was a bit slow in reposting the little fellow, but I posted him this afternoon, and within a few hours, got a very interested reply from a nice lady who raises Mini Donkeys not too far from here. We chatted a bit and she's coming to get him tomorrow. She has been looking for a tame little wether for a while, it seems they're very hard to find in our parts, (as I've learned!).

I'm going to miss the little fellow but that's how it goes.