Buying 3 does, but paranoid....I GOT THEM!!!! W/Pics!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bheila, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've been looking for some Nigerian does to ad to my herd and finally stumbled upon an ad a couple of days ago for 3 2 yr old Nubian/Nigerian Dwarves(aren't those called Mini Nubians?)for $100 :shocked: She wants them to all be sold together. 2 are sisters and the other is a half sister. Ever since my friend Julie had her misfortune with CL I swore I'd never buy another goat unless it had been tested for CAE/CL....etc. Now I find this ad with these does I could use for milking next year, they are pretty much what I wanted and are dirt cheap, except they haven't been tested :hair:

I emailed the owner all day today about the girls' health and if they'd ever been sick or had any lumps. She was honest and said that one of the girls had a cold this winter so she took her to the vet got some meds and it cleared up right away. None of the girls have ever had any lumps.

What would you guys do? The way I see it, I drive the hour to go look and feel the goats over, bring them home, put them in quarantine, draw their blood, have it tested and then make my decision then. Or would you pass up a deal that seems too good to be true? :pray:

We're going to "look" at the does Friday morning. I told her that I was very interested but I wanted come, look and feel them first.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Buying 3 does, but paranoid....

Sounds like a good deal and that shes an honest person. But i would keep them separate..or request that she test them, maybe you could help her and draw the blood? :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

are these registered mini nubians?

4. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio

I agree with Katrina, request that they be tested. Also, when you go to look at them, ask to look over the rest of the herd. You want to be looking for abscesses, or scars where abscesses have been removed. Then ask the owner if they have ever had an abscess, and if so, how did they deal with it.

Goats in our area are going pretty cheap right now, in fact I just had somebody call me yesterday, and ask if I wanted some free ones. They were some kids' 4-H goats, and the kids are done with 4-H, so their mom tried to sell them. She couldn't even find anybody to come look at them, so she's trying to give them away. So the price that you were quoted doesn't really surprise me.

5. eliya

eliya New Member

I'd certainly look into it! I think I'd go with gut feel, and if you are really worried about testing, or plan on breeding in the future, I'd bring 'em home, quarantine them and have them tested.

$100 for a healthy trio of MiniNubian does is a great deal. Especially if they can be registered. If their parents are registered, they can be too.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

The price for goats around here hasn't changed. The only thing people are giving away are horses.

The does aren't registered and if I rememeber correctly I don't think they can be, we'll see. I wasn't really looking for anything registered because like I said prices around here haven't dropped any. The mother of the does is a Nubian and the father is a Nigerian, I'll learn more when I get there tomorrow. So far I think I've asked her all of the right questions. I apologized to her for asking so many questions and she said she'd be worried if I didn't care enough to ask so many questions, so I took that as a good sign.

"If" I do bring them home I plan on keeping them in a huge kennel far far away from my other goats and drawing their blood the day I bring them back.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Go with your gut, if you have the space for quarantine, have them tested and hopefully they are clean. Even if they are 1st generation, you have a foundation started.

8. eliya

eliya New Member

The seller sounds good. If they are upset that you are asking questions, that is a sign that something is wrong.

If the Nubian and Nigerian parents are registered, all you need to register the kids is copies of the parents papers.

Good luck with checking them out. I hope you are able to get a very good idea of their health and be able to come to a good decision. Let us know if you get them or not! And if you do... WE WANT PICTURES!!! :clap: :cool:

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you go look them over and their knees are clean no abcess' or abcess scars. No runny noses or eyes shiny coats. Then i would bring them home and quarenteen them until they have been tested. It sounds like a good deal especially if they have papers.
    beth

10. Re: Buying 3 does, but paranoid....

Well, I would look at the condition, look at the farm. And at that age you can see if they have any lumps or bumps. After that, truth be told you can get it on your farm by walking though a zoo if they ever had it on the grounds and it gets on your shoes. Quarantine them should they look good to you and the farm and animals are kept nicely. After that, truth be told you will always take a Chase with goats. Even if someones herd test negative and one doe is brought on with it or someone comes to see your goats from a farm or piece of land that had the puss active on the ground you have a chance of getting it. However, even with CL if cared for right you can keep it from spreading or infecting a farm or the grounds, not that I would say try it, but should it ever occure. Hope that helps, if you go there and they are healthy I would do it, sounds like a good price and you can tell if a herd has been cared for right.

11. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

I got the girls :stars: They're in great shape too! I felt so bad when I left because the owner started crying :( We're on the road now so once we get home and they're settled in I'll post some pics. I couldn't be happier right now :greengrin:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Buying 3 does, but paranoid....I GOT THEM!!!! :eek:)

congrats!!! cant wait for pics.

:thumb:

the owner must have really loved them, make sure to keep in touch so they know your taking great care of them. :hug:

13. Re: Buying 3 does, but paranoid....I GOT THEM!!!! :eek:)

How wonderful! :clap: :leap: I am so happy, :wahoo: I just knew deep down you would just love :love: them! I want pics now. HEHE Can't wait! :stars:

As for the tears, it is sad but at least you know she cared and she knows they went to a good home. I am sure you can keep her posted every so often. HEHE :love:

14. eliya

eliya New Member

Oh Good! :leap: :clap: I'm glad you were able to get them and that they are healthy. It sounds like their owner really loved them and cared for them. I'm glad you were able to give them a good home! I look forward to seeing pictures.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:stars: Of course pics once they are settled in would be really wonderful.

Tears from the owner are hard to take sometimes, but at least you know exactly what those girls meant to her. I have a hard time too when my babies leave, and the new owners know this too....but I try to hold back the tears til they leave my driveway.
    Sending her progress reports would really make her feel good about her decision.

16. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

Here's the pics as promised,

This is in the back of the van on the way home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like the Unihorn?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I definitely plan on keeping in touch with the lady who owned them. Want to know how lucky I am to get these girls. Someone had already bought them and brought them back because they lost their job and could no longer afford to feed them. The stars were aligned this week in my favor :wahoo:

So what do ya'll think. Are their ears supposed to be bigger for being Nubian/Nigerian cross? They're 1st generation, not registered.

17. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They are BEAUTIFUL!!

Congratulations! I LOVE them all, but that red doe is stunning! :drool:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    really nice does -- certainly take after the nigerian gene thats for sure.

19. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Very nice, and you have one with waddles! I love waddles on a goat, my mom used to say that the goat had earrings, lol. I really like the coloring on the black and tan one, quite stunning.

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    absolutely adorable girls!!!! :love: