Buying a buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Dont bother getting a buck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get any old buck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Get a Herdbook registered buck (like experimental or grade?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Get a PureBred buck

100.0%
  1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok, I have posted before on this topic... but I'm now a little closer to my goal.

These are calculations that I did:

Goat Keeping

Expenses

Bedding straw @ €15 – 20 per bale
    Forage hay @ €25 - €35 per bale
    Grain Gain @ €10.30 per sack, Q Care @ €8.15 per sack
    Vet €140 approx per year
    Petrol @ 50c per mile
    Stud fees €50 - €80 per goat
    Misc for example collars @ €6 each
    Medication wormers, vaccines etc.

Income

Kids Males @ €40 - €100 or use for meat
    Females @ €150 each
    Milk For own use
    For sale at €1.50 per litre

For a male

Initial price €250 for HB registered yearling, €350 for purebred kid

This year we spent:
    €50 per stud fee (two goats = €100)
    €35 per trip to Carlow
    Trips: 2 for Demi = €75, and (so far) 5 for Harmony (and we don’t know if she’s in kid) = €175
    Total expenditure for getting the goats in kid = €350

4 goats in 1 month getting through approx ½ bale of straw (€18), 1 bale of hay (€30) average prices
    1 in-milk goat eating 1kg grain per day (€10.30 for 25kg = 5 wks food)
    Therefore grain cost per day (lactating goat) = 25c
    Total forage/bedding cost per goat per day = 33c
    Total base cost per goat per day = 58c

Ok say 1 collar per year €6
    Vet bill for 1 goat per year €35 (we paid circa €280 for average 4 goats for 2 years, therefore 140 per year, 35 per goat)
    Base cost per year €206.48 (58c per day multiplied by 365)
    Misc €20 (random figure for extras)

This cost is /not/ applicable to a buck. A buck would only get grain while in rut which is from approx August – January, and would get 0.5kg grain approx per day while in rut. That’s 91kg of grain. I would give him the cheap grain which is €8 per 25kg (as he doesn’t need the protein, just the energy). Cost = €29.12
    Approx 8c per day, plus forage/bedding of 33c
    Base cost for 1 buck per year €150

Therefore… a buck may cost up to €211 per year to keep. We are spending, per year, on stud fees & petrol alone, circa €350
    Adding €50 per year for 5 years to pay for the initial buck cost brings us up to €261. Therefore it is cheaper – and handier – to keep our own buck on the property.

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok... My options...

My friend's mum says "well you only want the milk so just get any old buck to get them pregnant and then give away the kids"

So I could do that.

My does at the moment are HerdBook registered - that means they're all from registerable stock... but maybe a different breed in there somewhere? For instance my Saanen type does have Toggenburg way back. And Demi is 1/2 Saanen 1/2 AN but is HerdBook registered as both her parents were purebred.

So, I could buy a HerdBook registered buck (yearling) and have lots more Herdbook registered kids. Which, incidentally, is what I'm getting at the moment by going to the buck in Carlow.

Or, I could buy a Purebred buck. This wouldnt work for all my does as Demi is a different breed (well half). The kids would most likely end up HerdBook anyway as my does are Herdbook. Or I could keep their offspring, sell them, and so on, until I made my way up to Purebred. But THAT would involve then buying ANOTHER buck as otherwise they would be inbred... And I dont think I want to sell Whiss, Harmony and Demi anyway!!!

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I guess I could buy purebred does to go with a purebred buck - but then that would probably involve getting rid of W, H & D anyway as I definitely wont be able to afford keeping lots of extra goats... and there's the manpower too. So I guess that's not really an option for me. Plus the fact that it'll cost me €350 initially to buy the purebred buckling (baby) and it will cost me €250 to buy a yearling (born March 07) Herdbook registered buckling - and I'll probably be able to sell the kids just as easily.

So... hmmm... :shrug: Ideas? Think I should just buy a random one? Or the Herdbook? Or the Purebred? argh (gotta get the money from somewhere)

i cant really go on as I am - like with Harmony - she is going to the buck this weekend, but Im not there, I have no idea if she's come in and it's too late, or whether she's coming in, or whether she... argh. ANyway :shrug: So it may just be Demi kidding this year. In which case I'll put them ALL in next year :greengrin:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i wanted to mark herdbook and purebred.. but i couldn't i think either works well for your situation and you would be getting quality animals

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Whew, my head's spinning. . . . I picked get a Herdbook registered buck as that seems best for your situation and you will be able to keep your does and still get some nice kids.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    nice to see that someone else's head is spinning as well as mine =] :ROFL:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stick with herdbook as spending more money on a "better" buck isnt going to help you any. As you mentioned the goats are really just for milk and you dont need to keep breeding up for show.

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I'm go to respectful disagree with this. You still want good udder attachment and milking lines. Along with good body structure. You will have less problems in your herd over all. I'm not say you have to spend a lot, but don't buy cheap either unless you really know and trust the people you are buying from. If you don't know who your buying from it nice to be able to look up the lines to see what your getting. I would buy the best I could afford to lose. That means if something happen to your animal will it put in the hole so you can't replace it or even be a strain on you family budget. From my personal experience I've found cheap in livestock usually cost more in the long run. Shelly

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with Shelly, a kid from a purebred buck would probably sell better than a mix in some cases, and it would increase the quality of any babies you get. You could always mix and match who you breed to each year so you wouldn't be inbreeding..

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If it was me, I would either look for a purebred buck or a good quality herdbook registered buck. "Any old buck" usually is not good unless all of the kids he produces are going to be used for meat. If you are planning on keeping/selling any of the does produced from his breedings as milkers you'll want good, proven bloodlines.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Although I would generally go with the purebred, because you are improving your kids and therefore can sell them for more money, in this scenario I would go with a top quality herdbook buck, because you said you can get a yearling whereas the purebred would be a kid, and I think you need to get a working buck as soon as possible. You can use the yearling straightaway, you have to wait for the kid to grow out.

I wouldnt sell the old girls to buy purebreds unless getting into showing etc. was something you REALLY wanted to do.

12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I wouldn't go with just any buck. In this situation, no you dont need a purebred buck but you should ALWAYS work on bettering (Is that even a word? Lol) your herd, even if you don't plan to show. :wink:

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Purebreds aren't always the best way to go. I've seen much nicer looking American registered Saanens than the purebreds for the most part. My folks had one Purebred American Saanen buck though-and he produced aweasome looking kids. But all of their does/bucks now are Americans. I've seen people who stick with just the purebreds and most of their goats aren't that impressive. I would go with something that you know will have good milking genetics behind it-and one that has good strong feet. If you are going to go with a Saanen, that is even more important since Saanens can tend to have more problems with their pasterns.

14. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I know that this boy is from good milking stock. He is from the Timyon Goats in the UK...

this is their website:

http://www.timyongoats.com/index.htm

It is only a very small goat farm... but looks for to be nice goats. I have sent the guy an email asking him for a photo of this boy as I am unable to go to the farm to visit him - sadly my job is sending me out of the country :hair:

I phoned a friend who said I should offer 150EUR for him... she seemed to think that 250EUR was exorbitant and he should bring the price down. I dont want to offer him so little that he doesnt want to give him to me though... hmm.

I gotta get the money first :ROFL:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think I would go with a good quality herdbook buck....preferably a Saanen as that is what is predominant in your girls, eventually you will want to retain a doeling of his to replace an aging "milker" so getting one with good udders behind him would be in your best interest.

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Well, I know that it is impossible to ship to Canada from here, so you'd probably need to find something pretty close to you to purchase-unless shipping from around here to Ireland isn't a problem. Maybe i'd stuff myself into the crate for the ride :) . I've always wanted to go to Ireland.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would go with a quality herdbook or purebred buck from really good stock, I think that would be where you money would be best spent. You could offer your buck for stud as well to bring in some extra money from him :)