The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add one more doe to my herd to bring in some new lines. I have my eye on two and I think both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are 3 years old, are completely unrelated to anyone in my herd, and are at similar price points. I鈥檓 still learning how to judge a goats conformation and what the most important things to look for would be so I could use some guidance 馃槉
One is a doe I had my eye on last year but decided I had too much on my plate at the time, so I passed on her. She has a nice deep body, and they said she has great production but can be difficult to milk and I don鈥檛 think her udder attachment is amazing.
This is doe #1
Plant Working animal Grass Fawn Groundcover
Terrestrial animal Snout Suidae Metal Artifact
Vertebrate Mesh Textile Mammal Wire fencing

The other doe is more petite, and looks to have a longer, but steeper rump. Her udder attachment looks nicer to me, and she has her milk star in fat and protein. She has been to shows and has done well. I haven't shown yet but it is something I definitely plan to do this coming year.
This is doe #2
Plant Working animal Dog breed Grass Fawn
Horse Working animal Liver Terrestrial animal Fawn
Goat Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Plant Snout

If you were to choose one, which would you lean towards?

Registered
Doe 2, for the simple fact that I really dislike Doe 1's poor udder attachments and because you don't want one that you already know is difficult to milk! She does have really nice body capacity, but she is an older doe and capacity often comes with age. That said, I'm not really a fan of Doe 2's udder attachments either. And it looks like she's got a bit of a Roman nose, which is not ideal for a Nigerian, if that's what she is. If she's been shown and done well, that's a plus, and she looks like she'd be easy to hand milk. She has nice length, and although she's got a steep rump, it's long at least.

Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Ok, I personally and honestly wouldn't go with either (sorry). But that is just me and what I think is best for herd. Your herd goals are different than mine.

Doe #1

Pros:
Awesome depth and body capacity
Good brisket
Legs placed nicely under shoulders
Pasterns look pretty good
Good rear leg angulation
Neck blends smoothly into shoulders
Tight shoulders
Roached loin (I think that is what's making her rump look steep)

Udder Pros:
Medial
Capacity

Cons:
Length of body
Steep rump
Rump could be a bit longer

Udder Cons:
Very weak attachments
Escutcheon height
Super weak fore

Overall, I really love her body conformation, but IMO, her udder is terrible. And since NDs are a dairy goat, I (personally) would definitely pass on her because of that.

Doe #2

Pros:
Very long rump
Strong back pasterns
Great rear leg angulation
Body length
Neck blends smoothly into shoulders
Shoulders look tight

Cons:
Steep rump
Weak chine
Front pasterns look very weak in the first pic, but I can't see them in the second one
Front legs placed to far forward
Lack brisket

Udder Cons:
Again, very weak attachments
Low escutcheon
Teats point forward

Overall I think she has decent body conformation and her udder is a little better than Doe #1, but it could be a lot better.

If it were me, I would keep looking. Sorry I can't really pick who I like better.

Registered
i just couldnt get pass the udder on both.. i wouldnt even consider the does and i really did try to figure out which one i prefer. doe 1's photo the doe is standing slightly uphill and does two photo is down hill on the last photo. if you could possibly find a farm that has "nicer" all around does whos 2022 kids would be the same price i would take a gamble with kids.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input, I did decide to pass on those two. I did find another 2 that seem like they are more promising (maybe?馃槄). The first one, I think, has a better medial which is something I do need to improve on a little with my herd. She鈥檚 a yearling FF.
Wheel Tire Plant Car Hood
Plant Sky Tree Grass Working animal

The other doe is a 4yo, still waiting on conformation pics on her but I do have an udder pic.
Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal

Registered
Wow, these two are tons better! The udder on the second doe looks really nice! Really high and nice width. Medial is good and teats look good. I'd like them in a little more (up against the leg makes them a little more difficult to milk) but that's not a dealbreaker. Her attachments aren't bad at all, but I wish she had just a little more area of attachment. That said, she's got better attachments than many in my herd, I'm just being nit picky! I'd love to see what the rest of her looks like!

The younger doe is a definite improvement over your original two prospects, but I'd still like stronger rear udder attachments and a smoother fore udder. Lovely medial though, and teat placement looks good.

Registered
I think passing on the other two does was a wise and great decision.

I agree with @Calistar!! These does look much nicer than the first two!! So far I'm also liking the second doe better, but seeing a body picture could possibly change my mind. Her udder looks really nice! Like @Calistar said, her attachments could be a little stronger and her teats are placed a little too far out to the side, but definitely a HUGE improvement from the first two! Another thing you can't tell from the picture is how her fore udder is attached. But overall, I think she has a very lovely udder!!

The first doe is nice too and a lot better than the first ones! The cons to her body conformation would be weak brisket, steep rump, front legs toe out, and her pasterns might be a little weak (but it's hard too tell with the grass in the way). Other than those few cons, she has really nice conformation and great body depth for her age! Udder cons would be low escutcheon and her attachments are weaker than I'd prefer, but overall, not bad at all!!

Please post body pictures of the second doe when you get them. I'm really interested to see what she looks like!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the owner of the 2nd doe was not able to get conformation pics because she was alone and couldn鈥檛 set her up. I have this picture but it really shows nothing lol. If she wasn鈥檛 4 hours away I would just go see her but that鈥檚 a little bit of a hike. Im trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and go with her without really seeing her body structure because her udder is nice, or if I should go with the younger doe
Goat Liver Fawn Grass Ear

Registered
Yes, it is hard to see her conformation in that picture, but I honestly think she looks just as nice (if not better) then the FF. Since she is far away, I would ask for pictures of her dam, dam's udder, sire, sire's dam's udder, and also pictures of her fore udder. If she's registered, maybe you could look up some of her ancestors as well to get a good idea on good and bad traits in the lines she comes from. If it were up to me, I would most likely go with her, but before making my final decision I would definitely ask all the questions I mentioned just to make sure I'm not going to regret my decision down the road and/or to make sure their is no glaring flaws in her. Overall, she looks like a very nice doe!

I would also ask for more side pictures of her standing on concert, stones, or somewhere that you would be able to see her pasterns better. Her front pasterns look pretty weak, but it very well could just be the way she's standing.

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Good passing the first two does!

These two girls have nice udders. They could have stronger attachments and slightly closer teats, but they have a great foundation. If she can't set the doe up, ask her to take several pics of her outstanding in a normal stance. Sometimes natural pics help as well since stacked pics can hide issues if the handler knows how to set them up really good. I actually like seeing both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts